• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

notice to quit and deposit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• notice to quit and deposit

Have been renting a 1 room office since 2008 from a company who have given me 15 days notice to quit. they have found another place. My original contract was with company A to whom i paid a deposit. Company B (present company) bought out/took over company A in 2010. Company B do not recognise a deposit paid to company A and therefore have no intention of refunding. My contract with company A states a 2 month notice to quit either way.

Any advice please
    Tags: None

Re: notice to quit and deposit

Hi welcome to LB,

When the new company took over the responsibility for the building
    your office is in were you offered a new contract?

Were any assurances given on tenure, rent, notice periods?
    e.g., were you told your agreement was still valid? Perhaps when the details
    for paying the rent were changed?

nem

Comment

do u have a copy of you lease ?
      crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
        Hi welcome to LB,

When the new company took over the responsibility for the building
        your office is in were you offered a new contract?

Were any assurances given on tenure, rent, notice periods?
        e.g., were you told your agreement was still valid? Perhaps when the details
        for paying the rent were changed?

nem

No. Was told that everything will continue as before and that has been the case
        for the last 5 years. The only thing that changed was the bank account

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I have a copy of the lease

Comment

Originally posted by peterpiper View Post
          No. Was told that everything will continue as before and that has been the case
          for the last 5 years. The only thing that changed was the bank account

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I have a copy of the lease
          Is the contract a commercial tenancy (i.e short term commercial lease) agreement?

If possible, are you able to post it up with yours and company A's details censored or covered up?

Are there any terms in the agreement that reference change of landlord? If so please tell us the precise wording of such terms and any terms referenced to in said terms.

Think this may be an interesting read for you as well - http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...91665533,d.d2s
          Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Is there anything in the lease that deals with the assignment of the lease to a 3rd party.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
              Is the contract a commercial tenancy (i.e short term commercial lease) agreement?

If possible, are you able to post it up with yours and company A's details censored or covered up?

Are there any terms in the agreement that reference change of landlord? If so please tell us the precise wording of such terms and any terms referenced to in said terms.

Think this may be an interesting read for you as well - http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...91665533,d.d2s
              I will look for it and send it to you. It is just basic doc because my landlord was the
              tenant to the main landlord, so in effect, the office space was a sub-let. Is that correct ?
              There was no reference to change of landlord
              Surely 7 years of rent counts for something !

Comment

I will look for it and send it to you. It is just basic doc because my landlord was the
                tenant to the main landlord, so in effect, the office space was a sub-let. Is that correct ?
                There was no reference to change of landlord
                Surely 7 years of rent counts for something !
                If your landlord was a tenant of the buildings owner, then yes you were a sub tenant. However is Company B a tenant of the building owners like Company A was or have they bought the building?
                Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

I was paying rent to a company who are tenants of an organisation who own the building. So owner leases out office to Company A. Company A rent out office space to my (my company). The owners/agents were made aware of my presence. If for some reason it was illegal of they didn't like it, they didn't do or say anything about it. Never received correspondence from either original landlord, new landlord or owner/landlord

Comment

I was paying rent to a company who are tenants of an organisation who own the building. So owner leases out office to Company A. Company A rent out office space to my (my company). The owners/agents were made aware of my presence. If for some reason it was illegal of they didn't like it, they didn't do or say anything about it. Never received correspondence from either original landlord, new landlord or owner/landlord
                    Don't worry if it was legal or not. Company A will more than likely have had a clause/term in their tenancy agreement with the buildings owner to sublet part of the building - Hence why they were able sublet part of it to you.

But because your a subletter originally of Company A, we need to see your tenancy agreement/contract you had with company A to see what it says about when a new company takes over from Company A. Likewise we may need to see a copy of the agreement between Landlord and Company A, but don't worry bout that just yet, as first thing to look at is your contract you had with Company A.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X