• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bank Didnt follow instruction - Debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank Didnt follow instruction - Debt

Hi all,

Quick question & scenario for you.

My partner, who suffers memory issues & a whole raft of other health problems rendering her, much to my frustration as I do at least 50 hours a week, unable to work. She is on benefits (despite her disabilities, they won't give her DLA so its 100 quid a week ESA!)

A year ago she instructed the bank to pay to me 40 quid a month to cover her mobile phone which is in my name as a bulk deal with the mobile company. This was first done via their (flaky) online banking & then over the phone in May 2014. Both times the instruction to pay was not set up. A year later we find ourselves in the position where she is 400+ quid in debt to me, which I can really not cover. The financial ombudsman says the bank did nothing wrong - I say they did wrong in doing nothing.

Question being: If we were to sue the bank for the 400+ quid via the small claims court, would we have a case? OK she would've paid that out over the term of the debt anyway, but the issue here is one of negligence & her inability to afford a large amount like that in the long term or to pay 50 quid a week to repay it. I can prove they were asked to do this stuff twice, one time I actually went to set it up online but their system spat its dummy out & the other time I was present whilst she was on the phone to the bank, may even have a recording of the call my side.

I can't imagine how they should get away with ignoring a basic instruction like this & force my partner to pay out 400+ quid as a lump sum. At the very least we should have some for of recompense, no? I also can't imagine a bank will waste solicitors fees on defending a case for what to them is a very small amount.
    Tags: None

Re: Bank Didnt follow instruction - Debt

Where did the money get transferred to?

Why did you not come here before you went to the FOS?(that would have been the avenue I would have gone down depending on the facts of the case and on what you were arguing).
    How come it took so long for you to notice that the transfer was not going into the account?
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Re: Bank Didnt follow instruction - Debt

They didnt actually instruct the transfer of any money - the instruction was totally ignored by them & why didn't I come here first - the complaint has been going on for 6 months & I only found this site a few months ago, darn Actually, I love this forum now I've found it.

Simple explanation why it took a while to notice - Self Employed & the shortfall came up after 6 months when I did some work updating the books/accounts etc. Even after the complaint was put in with Halifax they still did nothing to instruct the standing order.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X