• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Retailer rights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retailer rights

Scenario.
    Ladies fashion shop retailing mother of the bride outfits. Lady visits with her husband. Tries on loads of outfits in a smallish fitting room where she can show the outfits to her husband and to inspect them in front of massive mirrors along 3 sides of the room.
    She tries on loads of them and finally settles on one she loves and which she chose carefully and in the presence of her husband. She also chose matching shoes and bag to go with it.
    There is ample time to inspect the outfit, and even the sales assistant would pick up on any apparent faults.

Lady buys with the wholehearted approval of her husband.

Few days later she call the shop and says her daughter doesn't like the outfit and can she have her her money back. Told will do an exchange for something else or have a credit note. She refuses this.
    She is angry about it.

Few more days and she calls again. She has found a fault on the outfit and wants her money back. Told to bring it in for inspection., and if it's possible we;'ll do an y necessary repair or replace as normal practice.
    She refuses and posts it back along with the matching shoes and bag which all of a sudden she says are faulted too. In fact a fault she says exists actually doesn't.

She has now instigated a claimback - cashback for the full amount.

Given that the lady called and told us that her daughter didn't like her outfit in the 1st place, this being the obvious problem, then some days late the sudden discovery of faults which we are adamant weren't present at the time of the sale I am angry about this.

I know that the sale of goods act puts the onus of proof on us to show that a fault didn't exist but of course that's an impossible task.

So, what I need advice on is the following:
    Is the lady entitled to a full refund regardless. She has refused us the right to repair or replace the allegedly faulted items. She has refused a credit note.. She has refused to have an exchange from stock of another outfit exactly the same.

I feel aggressively that the faults have been deliberately put in the material. In any case, as we have received the items back from her by post, I can see that such damage would take no more than a few seconds to mend without any deterioration of quality or being noticeable to the eye.

The cash-back has just been presented through my credit card facility but I have 30 days to contest it.

Should I just leave it at that? I mean if it had been a £30 jumper it wouldn't be too bad but this customer made a deliberate (though I can't prove it) fault in the sleeve of the outfit costing over £700 in order to get her money back as her daughter didn't like it.

Can the credit card company actually process a cash-back when it's contested on that basis?
    If so do I have rights to chase them for repayment when it has been fairly contested.
    Any other things worth mentioning, ie am I right in assuming that even though the proof doesn't exist that the outfit wasn't faulted at time of purchase after being tried on and considered in the presence of her husband that I'm still afforded the right to replace, repair or otherwise make some financial refund as way of compensation.

I am in favour of the Sale of Goods Act, as it's a necessary safeguard for those who really are being unfavourably treated by retailers, however it's a bit of a one way street when a customer tries to rip the retailer off.

Re: Retailer rights

No comeback just because she doesn't like it although the majority would exchange it for something else.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
      No comeback just because she doesn't like it although the majority would exchange it for something else.
      I agree with that point entirely and she was offered that, but since she's now claiming she "found" a fault after she told me her daughter didn't like it, it's all a matter of provability?
      I can't prove she told me her daughter didn't like it. I can't prove she put the fault in herself and I can't prove it wasn't there when she bought it.

As I understand it though she did have ample opportunity to inspect it at the time of purchase. So that may well be my main argument. Or not?

Comment

Plodderman I am totally with you on this. I know one woman who has actually bragged about getting an outfit from a shop for an event,wearing it to the event then demanding her money back a few days later. I am no expert in the law and wish I could advise you in a more constructive way but all I can offer is my full support and hope you beat this. I just can not see how she is in the right.
        I bought a frock from Hobbs in London for an event. The day before the 'do' I noticed a biro mark on the back which I would not have seen when trying it on. I could not get back to London to change the frock. Had to wear something else. When I did call the shop they told me they would change or try and clean/repair the frock but no refund and to be honest although I was a bit peeved I could not argue with that.
        I cannot see how this woman has got the right to demand her money back.

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
        ~ Anonymous

Comment

She already has it via the cash-back but my appeal is going in.

We do get this sort of thing occasionally. A mother of the bride outfits retailer is at risk from this sort of activity more than usual. We get ladies putting a cut through the material with a pair of scissors which goes right through the outer material and then the lining. Can't possibly be due to manufacture faults as there isn't any scissors go anywhere near the item once it's been cut to size, and it certainly would be impossible for both cuts to match the precise location as they never met until they're being sewn together.

We know what goes on but the customer has us on the spot as our reputation is very important to us.

We are never unreasonable and even allow an exchange of an outfit if the buyer finds it clashes with someone else's for the same wedding or event. It's just that I think I've had enough with the rip-offs now and need to put out a warning to others trying the same thing.

Anyway, we were denied the opportunity to repair or replace the allegedly faulty item and we could have done so with no inconvenience to her if it had been genuine in the 1st place.

Supposing the cash-back is repaid to us following the appeal against it. How would this stand in a county court, that being the only way she could try and get her money back?
          Like I said, we can't prove it wasn't faulted but I suspect she had ample time to inspect and accept prior to the purchase

Comment

It sounds just like she will push to see if you back down.

They have acted entirely unreasonably, stand your ground, do you really think that she will do anything more than claim a cash back on her credit card.. You acted reasonably offering her an exchange for value of stock or repair ( i doubt it needed any repair ).

We know what goes on but the customer has us on the spot as our reputation is very important to us
            Understood, but if you back down on this, expect a string of customers to do the same..
            crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

I've looked at the implications of a charge-back.
              The charges appertaining to the reversal are enormous, up to £400 apparently if I dispute it and even win it.

In such a case would I be within my right to take this to county court myself for a costs claim?

Comment

Hi

I presume you have never had one of these before ( me the same so i asked someone ), i will ask some of my retailer friends later today. After a phone this morning, i was told that because they come to the shop to purchase it, Its likely you will win. You will be asked a load of trip up questions, they will look if you have had claim backs before, and if you have previously played well with the card companies, but you should win

Best advise is to make it nice and clear that it was not damaged first time they tried to return it, and you offered full exchange there and then. I will ask later today and tomorrow some of my friends

IF THERE IS ANY OTHER RETAILERS ON HERE AT THE MO, ANYONE BEEN THROUGH ONE OF THESE IN THE LAST FEW YEARS ?
                crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Forgive me as I do not know a lot about consumer rights but what I do not get is that the credit card company refunded her money without any sort of proper investigation. I take it this outfit cost more than £700. No business can just write that off as a ‘good will gesture’ and I know credit card companies will drag a debtor through the fires of hell to recoup £700. This whole situation is off its head. :wacko:
                  I wish I had something more constructive to tell you but I am just boiling!

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
                  ~ Anonymous

Comment

When you sell to the Public instore or on the Web you will always get those who know their rights and how to fight for them.
                    problem is when the seller feels they are right and as in this case the card company side with buyer a court action to recover the money if the card company does not give the money back then becomes a strait argument that has a 50/50 chance of a win as the profit margins here are no doubt high the decision of the retailer needs to be made after a little thought. Their choice but what is the lose really in cash terms?

Comment

Good Point Wales01; Didn’t think of that.

~ Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                        When you sell to the Public instore or on the Web you will always get those who know their rights and how to fight for them.
                        problem is when the seller feels they are right and as in this case the card company side with buyer a court action to recover the money if the card company does not give the money back then becomes a strait argument that has a 50/50 chance of a win as the profit margins here are no doubt high the decision of the retailer needs to be made after a little thought. Their choice but what is the lose really in cash terms?
                        You see that's the whole point. The refund has already been made and in the meantime I have 30 days to contest it. I have never been asked about it from the card supplier at all.

So at this stage there is no win for the customer. All she has is a default process kicking in which gives me the right to put my side and if I win then to have the amount reimbursed. But even if I do I still have to pay the charges and that's the bit that really annoys me most after being originally scammed. And what's worse is if I don't appeal it I still get hit with charges for the processing of it.

The profit element is the loss, not the original purchase cost of the items by me, along with the charges incurred.
                        Not massive by any means but sometimes you have to do what feels right in the circumstances.

Comment

Please do what you feel is right . No use given up until all options are used

Comment

I'm gonna do that. Made my mind up.
                            Card issuer says she has claimed defective/faulty goods or goods not as described. Since she examined them quite comprehensively at the time of purchase she can't go down the route of them being faulted. The "not as described" doesn't even figure in the calculations anyway.

I'm going to give the customer a final chance for a credit note and withdraw the charge-back first.
                            If she refuses that then I've run out of patience with her, the cheating ****head. It's theft by another route really.

Comment

Hi Lynnzer

The general advise i recived was that your very likely to win the claim through the card co because she purchased it at the shop, and the offers you made to sort it out. Although there is not guaranteed.

It's theft by another route really.
                              100% agree, its worth pushing even if it just stops them doing it to the next retailer...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X