• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letter before action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter before action

I'm in dispute with a private individual and have been told that I need to use mediation before going to the small claims court, I've spoken to the person twice and on the last occasion he slammed the phone down on me, after speaking with the CAB about this they have advised me to use a mediation company who will work between us both and try and resolve the matter without going to court.

Spoke with a mediation company last Friday but they won't helpful in what to include in a Letter before Action, so I'm asking if there are any templates out there that could be of us or does anyone have any advice on how to word such a letter, I've never had to do this before so I'm absolutely hopeless and feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall.

Any help, no matter how small would be gratefully appreciated, thank you.
    Tags: None

Re: Letter before action

Can you give more idea what the debt relates to (obviously without naming companies/people/yourself) etc

That might help us to help you

Comment

We need to know what the dispute ins and outs are, as letters before action are very specific - Hence why there's no decent templates.
      Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...action_conduct

Before starting proceedings –
        (1) the claimant should set out the details of the matter in writing by sending a letter before claim to the defendant. This letter before claim is not the start of proceedings
        Simple. Explain why you are going to take them to court ad what you are looking for. A stranger should be able to read that and have a fair understanding of the dispute and remedy sought.

The response should normally be asked for within 14 days but if it's complex or involves 3rd parties such as insurance companies then longer.

You should offer alternative dispute resolution even if you don't think it'll help or they'll agree.

You should list the documents you are going to rely on and to be super smart send them copies to give zero wiggle room.

2. Claimant’s letter before claim2.1 The claimant’s letter should give concise details about the matter. This should enable the defendant to understand and investigate the issues without needing to request further information. The letter should include –
        (1) the claimant’s full name and address;
        (2) the basis on which the claim is made (i.e. why the claimant says the defendant is liable);
        (3) a clear summary of the facts on which the claim is based;
        (4) what the claimant wants from the defendant; and
        (5) if financial loss is claimed, an explanation of how the amount has been calculated.
        2.2 The letter should also –
        (1) list the essential documents on which the claimant intends to rely;
        (2) set out the form of ADR (if any) that the claimant considers the most suitable and invite the defendant to agree to this;
        (3) state the date by which the claimant considers it reasonable for a full response to be provided by the defendant; and
        (4) identify and ask for copies of any relevant documents not in the claimant's possession and which the claimant wishes to see.
        2.3 Unless the defendant is known to be legally represented the letter should –
        (1) refer the defendant to this Practice Direction and in particular draw attention to paragraph 4 concerning the court's powers to impose sanctions for failure to comply with the Practice Direction; and
        (2) inform the defendant that ignoring the letter before claim may lead to the claimant starting proceedings and may increase the defendant's liability for costs.
        M1

Comment

That is great mystery1 and thanks for the link, a good explanation on what's needed.

ncf335 & teaboy2, the dispute is over a vets bill after another dog attacked mine and badly injured it, the defendant say they are only willing to pay 50% of the bill and no more, the Police didn't want to know nor did the local authority, as the bill is only £500 it's not something a solicitor is willing to pursue so it has to be the small claims court.

Comment

Who told you that you 'have' to use mediation?

Does the mediation company make any form of charge?

Comment

Originally posted by NeedAdvice View Post
              That is great mystery1 and thanks for the link, a good explanation on what's needed.

ncf335 & teaboy2, the dispute is over a vets bill after another dog attacked mine and badly injured it, the defendant say they are only willing to pay 50% of the bill and no more, the Police didn't want to know nor did the local authority, as the bill is only £500 it's not something a solicitor is willing to pursue so it has to be the small claims court.
              Was the other persons dog on a lead, and just as importantly, was your dog also on a lead? If neither dog was on a lead, then its likely to be equal liability. If yours was on a lead and the others was not, then you have them for not having control of their dog where they are then 100% liable. And if their and any local bylaws where the incident happened that require dogs to be kept on a lead, then you have them on that too.
              Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Hi,

I'm assuming you have an independent witness to the attack, should it be required?

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear X,

I refer to the incident that took place on DATE at TIME in LOCATION whereupon your dog physically attacked my own dog, causing injuries that required veterinary assistance.

As you are aware from our previous contact I consider you, as the owner of the animal that made the attack, wholly responsible for the costs I have incurred.

As you have thus far failed to agree to pay all my reasonably incurred expenses in relation to the incident, I now give formal notice that should you not reimburse the full costs of £XXX.XX (as evidenced via the copy of the invoice attached) within 14 days from receipt of this letter (sent via recorded post), I shall commence legal action against you.

I sincerely hope this will not be required, but if court action becomes necessary I reserve the right to make this letter know to the court in relation to costs consideration for the legal action I take.

I await your prompt and positive response.

Yours sincerely,

X

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
                  Who told you that you 'have' to use mediation?

Does the mediation company make any form of charge?

I was told that mediation was a prerequisite before going to the small claims court, it does say so on the government website.

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
                    Was the other persons dog on a lead, and just as importantly, was your dog also on a lead? If neither dog was on a lead, then its likely to be equal liability. If yours was on a lead and the others was not, then you have them for not having control of their dog where they are then 100% liable. And if their and any local bylaws where the incident happened that require dogs to be kept on a lead, then you have them on that too.
                    Both dogs were of the lead but the other dog just grabbed mine out of the blue by it's neck and tried to kill him, there's no notices to say that dogs should be kept on the lead but one would think if a dog was capable of doing this it should be either on the lead or muzzled.

Comment

Originally posted by ncf355 View Post
                      Hi,

I'm assuming you have an independent witness to the attack, should it be required?

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear X,

I refer to the incident that took place on DATE at TIME in LOCATION whereupon your dog physically attacked my own dog, causing injuries that required veterinary assistance.

As you are aware from our previous contact I consider you, as the owner of the animal that made the attack, wholly responsible for the costs I have incurred.

As you have thus far failed to agree to pay all my reasonably incurred expenses in relation to the incident, I now give formal notice that should you not reimburse the full costs of £XXX.XX (as evidenced via the copy of the invoice attached) within 14 days from receipt of this letter (sent via recorded post), I shall commence legal action against you.

I sincerely hope this will not be required, but if court action becomes necessary I reserve the right to make this letter know to the court in relation to costs consideration for the legal action I take.

I await your prompt and positive response.

Yours sincerely,

X
                      No independent witness but the person walking the dog (not the owner) admitted at the time that his dog was to blame and was baffled why it attacked mine, since talking to the dog owner he has since changed his mind I believe.

The draft that you provided looks good, thank you and I much appreciate everyone's help and advice so far, you really are great people on this forum and I can't thank you enough.

Comment

Just to add, any more advice on dealing with this matter would be more than welcome.

Comment

Not really sure what more we can give you

Send the above letter and see what response you get

If it goes to court, without an independent witness its your word against his but considering you have clear evidence of the attack via the vets bill that shouldn't be too hard

Comment

Thanks, letter sent off today so will await a reply.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X