• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dispute with retailer over rug

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispute with retailer over rug

I attempted to buy a rug from an online retailer. Unfortunately they had discontinued the line and referred me to their supplier, who was a different online retailer, from whom I then purchased a rug and a runner. Both were expensive, but the supplier agreed to sell the rug at the price offered by the original online retailer which was a bit less than their online price. The total bill was approximately £600.

The purchase transaction took place on 28th November 2013. When the rug arrived, I contacted them because the colour was not as it appeared online (which is often the case with things bought online) and that I thought that there may be a fault with the rug because there are lumps in it and the stitching looks different in places. The appearance of the lumps look like the rug may have got wet at some point and subsequently shrunk in places.

A summary of the response from the retailer gave the following points :
    - That because the rug had been discounted, I had no right to a refund
    - That because I had not paid their full online price, they had sold the item as if it was 'through their shop' rather than through their website and that therefore I was not covered by distance selling regulations, or their 7 day return policy - I have never visited their shop and as far as I am concerned it was an online purchase.
    - They have tried to explain that the uneveness can be normal and that the rug will need some time to settle. (we are now 2 months later and the lumps are actually getting worse). The floor is tiled and perfectly flat.
    - They state that they have no legal or moral reason to refund me.

A further point to make is that the runner has still not yet been delivered (todays date 21st February 2014), when they had given a 6-8 week delivery date. They are stating that with this, the runner was a special order purchase manufactured for me and that I therefore would not be entitled to cancel it. They also state that they had held onto it because I had raised a query with the rug - this is the first I have heard of this and there was never any suggestion that this was being specially made at the time of purchase, just not in stock.

They are stating that if I wished to return the rug, they would give me credit, plus credit for the undelivered runner, less £30 for collection.

Personally, I feel that they see me as having no rights in the transaction and as such I would not wish to buy anything else from them. I have never received the runner and I am convinced that the rug has a fault with it - I have asked someone for a professional opinion and am just waiting to hear.

Can someone please give me a view on where I stand with regard to my rights and the online purchase? Can I carry out a charge-back because the payment was made with a Visa Debit card and then ask them to collect the rug? They seem to be making up the rules as they go along and keep mentioning their terms, which i have never seen and do not seem to match what I understand to be my consumer rights.
    Thank you.
    Tags: None

Re: Dispute with retailer over rug

Originally posted by adder1 View Post
    The purchase transaction took place on 28th November 2013. When the rug arrived, I contacted them because the colour was not as it appeared online (which is often the case with things bought online) and that I thought that there may be a fault with the rug because there are lumps in it and the stitching looks different in places. The appearance of the lumps look like the rug may have got wet at some point and subsequently shrunk in places.

A summary of the response from the retailer gave the following points :
    - That because the rug had been discounted, I had no right to a refund
    Utter nonsense - and it may have been a criminal offence to have made that statement.

- That because I had not paid their full online price, they had sold the item as if it was 'through their shop' rather than through their website and that therefore I was not covered by distance selling regulations, or their 7 day return policy - I have never visited their shop and as far as I am concerned it was an online purchase.
    If the sale was conducted over the 'net, or by the electric telephone, or in writing, or by carrier pigeon, or by semaphore, or by hoists of signal flags, flashes from an Aldis lamp (link) or by any other means of communication over a distance, then it was covered by the Distance Selling Regulations. Even if it was not, the sale would still be governed by the Sale of Goods Act.

- They have tried to explain that the uneveness can be normal and that the rug will need some time to settle. (we are now 2 months later and the lumps are actually getting worse). The floor is tiled and perfectly flat.
    Flim-flam.

- They state that they have no legal or moral reason to refund me.
    Unfortunately for them, the Rules of Acquisition (link) have not yet been implemented into English Law; this may happen if Cameron manages to cheat his way back into power in 2015.

A further point to make is that the runner has still not yet been delivered (todays date 21st February 2014), when they had given a 6-8 week delivery date. They are stating that with this, the runner was a special order purchase manufactured for me and that I therefore would not be entitled to cancel it. They also state that they had held onto it because I had raised a query with the rug - this is the first I have heard of this and there was never any suggestion that this was being specially made at the time of purchase, just not in stock.
    They have thus admitted having wilfully broken the contract to supply the runner.

They are stating that if I wished to return the rug, they would give me credit, plus credit for the undelivered runner, less £30 for collection.
    They are legally obliged to give a refund for the unsatisfactory rug and for the runner they have refused to supply.

Can someone please give me a view on where I stand with regard to my rights and the online purchase? Can I carry out a charge-back because the payment was made with a Visa Debit card and then ask them to collect the rug? They seem to be making up the rules as they go along and keep mentioning their terms, which i have never seen and do not seem to match what I understand to be my consumer rights.
    If one assumes that the firm is not actually owned by Ferengi, one might suppose it is owned by Arabs, Chinese people or some other foreigners who have the quaint misconception that their terms, conditions or "policies" somehow supersede English Law. Such lamentable ignorance is best cured by education and the best educators would be Trading Standards. Phone them on 0845 4 04 05 06 and ask them to give the rug wallahs hell.

Comment

Thanks for this CleverClogs...any views on whether I should chargeback?

Comment

That should be an effective way of getting a refund for the runner, but the rug supplier is likely to challenge the chargeback and the bank may well kowtow.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
          That should be an effective way of getting a refund for the runner, but the rug supplier is likely to challenge the chargeback and the bank may well kowtow.
          Why do you think they may have a problem with the rug?

Comment

It's because banks tend to be run by rather stupid people.

Try a charge-back for the lot by all means, but also take up the matter with Trading Standards - if only to deter the rug merchant playing at Silly Buggers.

Comment

hello Adder,

First of all it clearly appears that the product you have ordered breaches s14 of the Sale of Goods Act. Objectively, a rug of that price and standard should not shrink or have lumps.

Other points:

• The fact the rug has been discontinued has absolutely nothing to do with a refund.
              • If the goods were ordered online you have rights under the Distance Selling Regulations

Under the Distance Selling Regulations certain goods are not provided for in its provisions. This includes bespoke, custom made, tailor made items. An example would be a suit, bespoke shoes or an item of jewellery made for a customer however by them not delivering the item within a reasonable time frame they may have breached their contract.

If someone makes an item unique for you or conducts a service where the contract is silent it must be done within a "reasonable" time frame.

Your remedies:

1. Sue for the price of the rug under the Sale of Goods Act (breach of S14)
              2. Sue for the price of the runner as this has not been delivered within a reasonable timescale.

I hope this helps!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X