• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Second hand car broken down within three weeks of purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second hand car broken down within three weeks of purchase

I hope someone out there can help as I'm at my wits end I bought a Toyota Aygo three weeks ago from a dealer in Stockport I live over thirty miles away but it was the right age,model, mileage etc ( or so I thought!) last night the clutch went, I was rescued by the RAC and in the drive home he told me that not only was the clutch gone but that a wheel bearing was also on its way out. When I contacted the seller they say (albeit reluctantly) that they will repair it but I have to take it back to Stockport! I cannot get it there in the condition it is in and I cannot afford to have it towed there
    The vendor says that is the end of his responsibilities and he doesn't have to do anything else. He will not agree to pay for it to be repaired near to where I live. Help!
    Tags: None

Re: Second hand car broken down within three weeks of purchase

Check with the RAC whether your policy covers taking it to the dealers. I had a breakdown and because it was after the closing time of the garage the car was recovered to my home and then taken to the garage two days later. I am with Green Flag but the RAC may do this also.

Comment

Yes, sorry maybe I should have also added that I have spoken to the RAC and they will tow it but it will cost £85 because I've already used the service once for the clutch. I asked the vendor if they will reimburse me but they won't

Comment

How did you pay for that jalopy?

Comment

I paid by visa debit it wasn't a fortune but it was £3990 I can I'll afford to lose. I was also given a 'premium' two year warranty with the car.
          Last edited by chrisjones60; 5th February 2014, 20:22:PM.

Comment

Have you considered formally rejecting the motor car and claiming back the money by a chargeback on the card?

Comment

I would not know where to begin - would this mean I have to take the car back to the vendor and ask for an acknowledgement that I have returned it to them?

Comment

Get a friend to tow you about 1-1 1/2 miles from home and ring the RAC again and they should take it to the dealer,nothing ventured nothing gained.
                Cheers Brian

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                  Have you considered formally rejecting the motor car and claiming back the money by a chargeback on the card?
                  Hi Clever Clogs

i contacted Visa for the chargeback and they told me I have to get evidence that the car was faulty when I bought it otherwise they won't intervene. I am getting the clutch seen to tomorrow as I desperately need a car as I live out in the sticks and I need it for work. The car is also letting the rain in now when I bought it the vendor said the car was damp as it had just be valeted. I feel a right mug!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjones60 View Post
                    I paid by visa debit it wasn't a fortune but it was £3990 I can I'll afford to lose. I was also given a 'premium' two year warranty with the car.
                    Erm..that sounds fairly comprehensive - what does it warrant, if not the faulty performance you have had so far?:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Comment

I was also given a 'premium' two year warranty with the car.
                      Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                      Erm..that sounds fairly comprehensive - what does it warrant, if not the faulty performance you have had so far?:tinysmile_hmm_t2:
                      Perhaps it means that, like Premium Bonds, he only gets service under the warranty if he's extremely lucky?

Comment

i contacted Visa for the chargeback and they told me I have to get evidence that the car was faulty when I bought it otherwise they won't intervene.
                        If they do not know that a clutch should not fail in the first month of driving a motor car, they are utter idiots.

The car is also letting the rain in now when I bought it the vendor said the car was damp as it had just be valeted.
                        I suppose that Visa would expect you to prove that the jalopy was as waterproof as a sieve when you bought it?

I feel a right mug!
                        Does the dealer have a telescope on the roof?

Which dealer is it, by the way?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                          If they do not know that a clutch should not fail in the first month of driving a motor car, they are utter idiots.

I suppose that Visa would expect you to prove that the jalopy was as waterproof as a sieve when you bought it?

Does the dealer have a telescope on the roof?

Which dealer is it, by the way?
                          the dealer is Motorclick in Stockport. I have the Directors name and address so I am going to write to them tomorrow (recorded delivery). I was lucky with the garage who replaced the clutch as they've listed other faults on their invoice, I will send a copy of the invoice both to the Director (and the bank as evidence to see of that is sufficient evidence for the Visa refund). Thank you everyone for your help it is very much appreciated, special thanks to Clever Clogs!

Comment

Originally posted by brian77 View Post
                            Get a friend to tow you about 1-1 1/2 miles from home and ring the RAC again and they should take it to the dealer,nothing ventured nothing gained.
                            Cheers Brian
                            Ummm........it will be on RAC screen that the clutch was at fault and towing it anywhere won't make a jot of difference,they won't do anything as it's the same fault......that info directly from my own personal RAC man...my brother in law

Comment

different to the decades ago I was an RAC man!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X