• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tesco asking me to act against Company Policy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesco asking me to act against Company Policy

Hi,

I really need some help with this. Apologies for the length but it needs proper explanation to make the issue clear.

I work at Tesco on the Customer Service Desk. One of our Company Policies is that if a customer has had an item scanned twice at the checkout (a "double scan") then we give double the difference back.

For example: A customer has bought one pillow, worth £14.00 and comes to CSD and says she has been charged twice for it. We have to log the pricing error on our computer system, F11 and give the customer double the difference back.

So:
    Amount the customer expected to pay: £14.00
    Amount we made the customer pay for the double scanned item: £28.00
    Difference = £14.00
    Double the difference = £28.00

We have been told that we have to keep things off F11 as our store has more than its' fair share of pricing errors. I argued this with the Acting CSD Manager and asked if we were ignoring our own Company Policy. I was told no, as long as the customer is happy with what they are being offered (in example above, just a refund of £14.00 - and no logging on F11) then that is ok.

I said that I felt this was "sharp practice" and not only going against our own company policy, but against one of our core values that "no one tries harder for customers".

I argued that it's not up to our Customers to know our Company Policies but it is up to us to abide by them. I was told that I didn't need to worry as it was at the Duty Manager's discretion and not my decision to make.

The next day I called our Customer Services line anonymously and was told by two different people that giving double the difference is Company Policy and is NOT discretionary.

I then rang my union rep and he wanted to phone our Personnel Manager straight away but I begged him not to as the last person who "whistle blew" was discovered by their IP number and their life was made so intolerable that they left.

The next day, I had a long meeting with the actual Manager of our CSD. She said that the Duty Mgr has to do an investigation and then make a decision so it's not discretionary, but conditional on the investigation.That sounded better and I had to sign a summary of our discussion.

I got her to add that if I saw a Duty Manager decide that it was a Double Scan and still only gave a refund rather than DTD, that I would stay quiet until the customer had left (by which time the damage is done!) and then report it to her. She would then report it to our Deputy Manager who would then speak to the Duty Manager concerned.

Long story short: On Saturday I had to deal with an obvious double scan. My Team Leader even searched through the customer's trolley looking for a "second" item in case they were (as I have been warned) "on the make".No second item was found and the Duty Manager (who also happens to be our Store's Compliance Manager) asked the customer if they were happy to have the money back that they had been overcharged and they said yes.

So she told me to just give a refund (no DTD and no logging on F11).I did so and when the customer had gone, the Duty Manager started to fill in the refund slip and she wrote "Double Scan". I'd agreed in writing to support the Duty Manager in the first instance so I told her she'd better not write that as if she really thought it was a double scan she should have given DTD and had it logged as a pricing error on F11.

It only occurred to me afterwards that by incorrectly processing a double scan on my own Till Number I was implicating myself in ignoring Company Policy. I should have realised this but I am so stressed that it's hard to think straight.

I then went to my Team Leader and told her what had happened. I said that I should now tell our Manager and my TL said "You can't do that. There have been meetings with the managers because a lot of them aren't sure what they're doing."

The upshot of this is that I feel as if I am at a crossroads. I can ignore it and, as I see it, keep conning our customers (which I feel I can't do as I believe it's wrong) or I can keep pushing the issue which may ultimately lead to constructive dismissal.

I have written a complete log of who said what, when just in case...

I feel physically ill over all of this and would be so grateful for any information you could give me.
    Tags: None

Re: Tesco asking me to act against Company Policy

Refusing DTD is quite common as are complaints to HQ about said refusal. As a result of such complaints i've not heard of sackings. I have heard of customers who won't claim it unless it's significant because it's "not worth it" "raises their profile too much" etc etc. Usually, but not always, HQ send a gift card. Some people avoid certain employees who have a certain attitude.

I doubt it's an issue really but it is nice to know at least one Tesco employee has a conscience.

It is rather nice when meat goes half price but the old stock is left out without reduction

M1

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply. It makes me sad to think that refusing DTD is quite common. It seems no-one actually cares about the customer. Why bother to have a Policy at all if you're not going to stick to it?

it is nice to know at least one Tesco employee has a conscience.
      Yeah, much good it does me. It's making me ill!!!

Comment

Seriously some of your colleagues go to bizarre lengths to avoid it. Admittedly much of my experience comes from exploiting this and the the stories of others doing the same but policy is policy.

Your employer doesn't seem to care that much. There isn't much point in making yourself ill if they don't really care.

There have been instances of your colleagues stating that it's illegal to sell things that scanned for 1p which is clearly nonsense. The best retort i heard was someone who had a previous receipt in their wallet.

"Sorry we can't sell you that"
        "why not ?"
        "it's illegal"
        "better call the police then"
        "why?"
        "because i have a receipt that shows you broke the law"
        "ok you can have them this time"

It's just a game they play.

It's sad that someone who is trying to do the correct thing is made to feel as you do but in reality you are getting upset by something you can't change and it's not really worth the sacrifice you'd have to make when we both know you'll probably fail anyway.

M1

Comment

m1 - thank you. You just hit the nail on the head for me.

in reality you are getting upset by something you can't change and it's not really worth the sacrifice you'd have to make when we both know you'll probably fail anyway.
          That really spoke to me. The reality is that financially, I can't afford to be the sacrificial lamb and TBH, if the managers don't care - why should I.

Think I'll just save my energies for getting out of the place. It's clearly not a healthy place to work and I've done four years of it.

Sadly, the one thing that I do love is my customers, which is why I've taken this so hard...but enough is enough.

I'm done.

Comment

Originally posted by confusedandscared View Post
            Thanks for your quick reply. It makes me sad to think that refusing DTD is quite common. It seems no-one actually cares about the customer. Why bother to have a Policy at all if you're not going to stick to it?

Yeah, much good it does me. It's making me ill!!!
            I'm obviously very sorry its making you ill, but if only the bosses of large companies cared about these things as much as you do for a tiny fraction of their pay.

QCK
            x

Comment

To prove my point, from late yesterday on a laptop no less !!!

"They tried DD policy for over 18's only, you can't have DD on more than one item ! Normal 100 reasons why it didn't apply to the items.

sel was on desk at customer service took photo of sel and laptops in front of cs as the store are soo trouty and will deny it existed . Once I told them I'd email HO with pics and complaint about store manager said do full refund"

M1

Comment

Originally posted by confusedandscared View Post
                Why bother to have a Policy at all if you're not going to stick to it?
                Because:
                1. it sounds good in adverts, and
                2. some people might actually believe it

The truth is that the only Company Policy that applies across Tesco is to make money!

Comment

You mentioned in your post that the Manager had written on the receipt "double scan".

I may be wrong but, if a customer is given the £14 back and a receipt goes through with "Double scan" on it, by their own policy they would have had to refund another £14, yes?

My problem with this is, which everyone seems to have overlooked so far, if a "double scan" receipt is submitted by the Manager, where is the other £14 going? I suspect directly into the Managers pocket.

You must speak to your Union rep as soon as you can and make them aware of this. Get in there first before someone else becomes the victim of suspected fraud/theft and the Manager gets away scott free.
                  Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
                    My problem with this is, which everyone seems to have overlooked so far, if a "double scan" receipt is submitted by the Manager, where is the other £14 going? I suspect directly into the Managers pocket.
                    "Every little helps"

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
                      You mentioned in your post that the Manager had written on the receipt "double scan".

I may be wrong but, if a customer is given the £14 back and a receipt goes through with "Double scan" on it, by their own policy they would have had to refund another £14, yes?

You must speak to your Union rep as soon as you can and make them aware of this. Get in there first before someone else becomes the victim of suspected fraud/theft and the Manager gets away scott free.

I don't suspect that at all, although it is possible. The reason they do it is because it is monitored and they are under target driven pressure. There appears to be no sanction for not doing it.

M1

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X