• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wedding Competition, false advertising or breach of contract ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding Competition, false advertising or breach of contract ?

My girlfriend has entered a competition in a local paper to win a wedding that was advertised as having a value of 5000 pounds for her daughter, to win the competition she had to buy 1000's of papers and whichever couple had the most votes would win.
    Her daughter won the competition by a long margin manly due to the 100's of pounds spent on papers ... the hotel that was to host the wedding and therefore getting the advertising has given her daughter the list of what the prize comprises of and it only come to a value of 2000 (according to the current price list on there web site) , the hotel says the paper was not told it was a value of 5000 and the paper is not going to provide the shortfall.
    My girlfriend has tried to come to an agreement with the paper but is not getting anywhere,...... where does she stand legally with this and how do you think she should proceed ?
    any help would be helpful
    thanks
    karl
    Tags: None

Re: Wedding Competition, false advertising or breach of contract ?

Hi karl t, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

Any chance of a peek at the T&C's?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I think that's what we need to see - the advert and Terms and Conditions of it. £2000 towards the cost of a wedding is not to be sniffed at mind, even though £5000 would be better.

Comment

I've learned a very very good saying on here (thanks PTnumbers)..'THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAIL'........post up the whole kit and kaboodle (without identifying details) and let the :doggieyes:' find any clauses.
        I personally guarnatee...if it's there,,they'll find it

Comment

Originally posted by karl t View Post
          5000 pounds for her daughter
          Is she really worth that much? :rofl:

to win the competition she had to buy 1000's of papers and whichever couple had the most votes would win.
          That does seem a most peculiar competition or contest, especially as it seems to have been so very easy to shorten the odds in one's favour.

Her daughter won the competition by a long margin manly due to the 100's of pounds spent on papers ... the hotel that was to host the wedding and therefore getting the advertising has given her daughter the list of what the prize comprises of and it only come to a value of 2000
          Whilst it might have been false or misleading advertising, I rather doubt that a binding contract was formed regarding the value of the prize(s).

My girlfriend has tried to come to an agreement with the paper but is not getting anywhere,...... where does she stand legally with this and how do you think she should proceed ?
          any help would be helpful
          I believe she may have the traditional choice of "like it or lump it".

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X