• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Another insurance saga.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another insurance saga.

Hi, here's an insurance topic that's possibly a bit different.
    As part of the insurance cover on my classic cars, I have "key cover".
    I lost the keys to the MGB (only had it a short time and hadn't got round to having a second set cut), made a claim, insurers instructed locksmiths.
    Locksmiths visited and couldn't remove barrel from ignition/steering lock. They then tried unsuccessfully to remove the lock completely.
    During this attempt they managed to break the collapse mechanism of the steering column,as well as damaging the bulkhead and a seal between column and bulkhead.
    I informed the insurers,but repaired the damage myself as far as possible. The collapse mechanism is not repairable as such and the column is now solid (nice on the chest in the event of a shunt!), nor are column nor seal replacements available.
    I removed the ignition/steering lock and replaced it with one supplied by the locksmiths. (I wasn't letting them near the vehicle again!)

Seven months later the ignition lock failed and in so doing destroyed the starter motor.

I told the insurers and their initial reaction was "nothing to do with us, the lock is 7 months old, contact the retailers from whom we obtained the lock"

After a little to & froing, and a discussion about the Supply of Goods and Services Act, they have made a goodwill (!) offer of £100.

I was claiming £75 for lock, £60 for starter motor, £25 for electrical engineer's report (to show switch was correctly installed) £125 labour for replacing starter motor and repairing steering column and bulkhead (I never said I would do it for free), unspecified amount for damages for loss of use of vehicle.I charged for my labour at £25 per hour on the basis that at my age there is not a lot of time left and it is therefor valuable! (and I'm still cheaper than a garage)
    If they had accepted liability at the beginning I would have settled for the cost of replacement parts alone.

All along I have told them I would proceed to court, and am now about to do so, although they seem to want me to go through FOS. I'm not sure the FOS remit actually covers this situation, so I don't intend to bother.
    Slight problem perhaps in that the insurance company have a fully delegated management agreement with another company, who in turn have authorised yet a different outfit. From the time of the initial refusal I have written to the insurers, insisting they are responsible for their agents. When the agents wrote to me, I replied to the insurers...must have p****d them off.

Anybody have any (polite) suggestions other than I dispose of the classics and purchase a more modern means of conveyance!
    Tags: None

Re: Another insurance saga.

To be honest, without reading the policy and its associated terms and conditions it's hard to comment.

Are you absolutely sure about the lack of availability of parts? It would surprise me enormously if this were the case, though my only direct experience of these cars is watching my neighbour completely renovate one. He sourced the parts though.

Comment

http://mgbcarparts.co.uk/
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions and link.
        Re parts, nearly every single part for every model is available, and you could build a new MGB from the parts catalogue. This is one of the reasons this vehicle is an affordable classic, unlike my other.
        However, not the collapsible column which has two parts which slide against each other when a nylon "bolt" sheers. It is not possible to replace that nylon part and no one actually makes this particular steering column. Other non collapsible columns are available, which can be substituted. For cost reasons I just welded mine!!

The policy is a standard classic car policy. My argument with the Insurers is that under "the Supply of Goods and Services act" the lock supplied was not of satisfactory quality in that it was not sufficiently durable to last a reasonable length of time

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X