• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Foreign hard object in sealed crisp bag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign hard object in sealed crisp bag

Bought crisp, while munching a few at a time, my tooth became very sore some of the some crisps seemed very hard to bite on, I thought they may be burnt, , to my horror I discovered it was a small coin, which was in with the crisps. The coin was a foreign currency, not used in this Country. I was taken back with this, how it could be in a packet of crisp.

My Tooth ached and was loose, I got pain killers, it caused a lot of inconvenience and it is very hard to sleep or carry out normal every day functions. I contacted the company, they said verbally they would get my Tooth looked after. They asked for the packet details and to send the object (coin) found.

Within a week they sent an apologetic letter and said they would investigate,

A few days later they phoned and said this could not have happened on their production line, and said they would only part pay for the Tooth dental work.

I was shocked at this response, I was reasonable, I gave them reasonable time to investigate and come back to me.

I could have gone Public with this, and affected their brand name and PR, but that's not my style.

Is their a letter Template available with relevant consumer rights Act points, to construct a letter, stating my rights as a consumer, and what outcome I would be entitled to?

It’s you against a large Corp.

Have photo evidence of the Foreign object, batch number, serial number of packet.

Thank you for your advice and help
    Tags: None

Re: Foreign hard object in sealed crisp bag

If this company is Walkers I am afraid you may have a very difficult job. They actually have metal detectors on the lines and various other safety procedures.
    Personally I would love it if you cold take them on but they will have an excellent due diligence defence

Comment

If you bit on a coin your tooth would hurt like hell no i would have thought become sore i find it difficukt to accept your story think the crisp company may do,if the company has the descibed procedures in place im thinking you may have a hard fight,im not doubting your story but very strange?

Comment

How's the tooth now? You don't say you broke it and I suspect it has tightened up by now as the incident was a couple of weeks ago(?)
        Did you see your dentist and get a report from him?
        Only asking because when I broke a tooth on a piece of bone in a sausage the butcher initially denied responsibility. I went to the dentist, got a report and gave it to my solicitor to sort. Butcher's insurers paid for the crown and solicitors costs.
        Realise you aren't dealing with local butcher, but all the more reason to get dental report on damage done.

Comment

I think you will have great difficulty proving the coin was actually in the bag. It could cost you a fortune to take them to court with no guarantee of winning. Personally I would be inclined to accept their offer.

Comment

Thank you very much, have Dental report, will send it on and go from there.

Comment

Was it Walkers crisps btw? Are you aware of any recall of any crisps?

I did find plastic in muffins about 9 months ago but they were taken back and a refund was given(I thought it was white chocolate :o) ?
              "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
              (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

The last recall on crisps was McCoys: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21980893

Comment

Thank you very much, have Dental report, will send it on and go from there.

Comment

Is it Groundhog Day?

Comment

As you have gone to the trouble of obtaining a dentists report (did you pay for this?), it's worth a shot. Whilst the report cannot say that the coin was actually in the bag, it should indicate that the injury was 'commensurate with biting on a hard object'. Mentioning Trading Standards might also cause them to focus a little harder.

Put everything in writing from this point on - promises given over the telephone are worthless.

Comment

Thank you very much Border Collie, Great advice, your expertise is appreciated, will take onboard, Yes report was part of Dental examination.

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                          The last recall on crisps was McCoys: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21980893
                          Thank you very much, Quality control went for a nap the day this happened

Comment

Originally posted by sam9002 View Post
                            Thank you very much, Quality control went for a nap the day this happened
                            Not exactly, they rarely recall items unless there are multiple complaints. The recent KitKat recall was based on 7 bars of chocolate and not all batches for the date that was in the press were ultimately recalled so they had a fairly good idea of the time on that one. It does not take much to have a recall of snacks because sometimes things can happen in the production line and bagging of those things.

Comment

To be honest , when Walkers have a recall it tends to be very specific codes. They know what line and what time the possible contamination happened.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X