• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Do prospective Jurors need an IQ test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do prospective Jurors need an IQ test

Putting this question out for general comment

With the complexity of evidence now, do people think that jurors need a certain level of intelligence before sitting on a jury panel to pass a balanced judgement

My own view is that our legal system is based on all demographic areas of the population in any jury selection, and not just on academic qualifications

In short, it has been with us in true form since the 12th century, why change it
    Tags: None

Re: Do prospective Jurors need an IQ test

Who is planning on changing it??

Comment

No one,

Its just i am starting a paper on the subject,

Peoples own educated views are important

Comment

Which paper is this for?
        Originally posted by FORCEOFONE View Post
        No one,

Its just i am starting a paper on the subject,

Peoples own educated views are important

Comment

eTMA

Comment

eTMA
            Would that be the Tobacco Manufacturers Association or the Theatrical Management Association

Comment

Electronic Tutor Marked Assessments

Comment

With the complexity of evidence now, do people think that jurors need a certain level of intelligence before sitting on a jury panel to pass a balanced judgement
                The Sun newspaper posed this very question recently after the collapse of the Vicky Pryce trial. I failed the tabloid's pop quiz which is a worry because I recently did jury service.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-find-out.html

Comment

Thanks for the link

HOW ON EARTH DID YOU FAIL A TABLOID QUIZ

Comment

Thanks for the link

HOW ON EARTH DID YOU FAIL A TABLOID QUIZ
                    Easy. I cheated

Comment

No comment from me on the educational quality reporting from a red top but

Are people in favour of out current system of jury selection, take a complex fraud case.

I myself will openly admit maths is not my strong point

Comment

For what is your ETMA? Forgive me if my memory serves me incorrectly, but I thought you already had a law degree - my mistake possibly?

Comment

My own view is that our legal system is based on all demographic areas of the population in any jury selection, and not just on academic qualifications
                          Are you suggesting that only people with academic qualifications should be on a jury? In fact it wasn't until recent years that solicitors/barristers have been allowed to be jurors because they were exempted/excluded (don't know the date but Google it). Jury service selection is based on whoever is on the electoral roll. It's as basic as that. The only people who can opt out are criminals and lunatics.

There are more jurors invited to attend court than needed for the trial which allows the accused to reject some. If it's a rape case or a racially biased case then certain members of the public will be rejected without even opening their mouths or providing their cvs.

Comment

eTMA is that A level or just GCSE, or just the equivalent of, because I know that its definately not a British Law Degree?

For what its worth I believe that anyone being selected for Jury Service should have a strong command of English, be able to read and write and of course hold a British Passport, they should also be of strong moral fibre, no black marks against their character and of course be over the age of say 25.
                            Last edited by Sapphire; 19th May 2013, 18:22:PM.

Comment

I would LOVE to do jury service on a really juicy case.......the inner Nosey Parker in most folks would.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X