• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Returning Warranty computer component.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning Warranty computer component.

Hi all,

Whilst this matter is being sorted, I am concerned about the length of time, and the sequence of events by the retailer.

About 18 months ago, I rebuilt my desktop computer. Most of the components came from SCAN International – obviously spending quite some cash.
    Not long after, the graphic card failed. I contacted SCAN who persuaded me to contact the manufacturer (nVidia/EVGA) [not even SCANs wholesaler/supplier].
    Reluctantly I did this to save time, but it cost me money to return the item to Germany etc.

1/ About a fortnight ago, one of the 1Tb HDD’s (Seagate) failed, and I contacted SCAN again. They were insisting that I contact Seagate. It is still under warranty.
    This time I held fast and told them that as my contract is with them, it’s up to them to sort it out. After several emails, they eventually said that if I send it to them, they will return it to Seagate “on my behalf”. Obviously they expect me to wait for Seagate to comment/replace etc. Apparently; SCAN no longer sell Seagate gear.

I think I’m right in saying that I have One contract – which is with SCAN.
    SCAN have TWO contracts. One with me and one with Seagate – and the two shouldn’t meet ?

SCAN have received my original drive today, & found that it is indeed faulty.
    As my contract is with SCAN – shouldn’t they just replace the item,,,,, regardless of what they do with the returned one, and regardless of their contract with Seagate - & be pretty quick about it ?

2/ Separate issue:
    When a faulty item is returned under warranty, is it right that:
    i) any replacement is a refurbished item – not new,
    ii) any warranty on the replacement, is only as long as is left on the original ?

thanks all.

F
    Last edited by furkin; 17th April 2013, 12:33:PM.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X