• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Safestyle UK Cancellation Rights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Safestyle UK Cancellation Rights

The surveyor did come out on what they deemed was the 7th day (really 6th). We cancelled on what they deemed was the 8th day (7th). I hope they haven't started to make up the windows while we are in dispute

Comment

It might be worthwhile having a browse through these (look in 'Customer Leaflets' section)
      http://www.ggf.org.uk/publications

Also http://www.ggf.org.uk/homeowners-consumer-protection
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
        I think I may have found something.

Anticipatory breach of contract

When one party (KittenMitten's neighbours) informs the other party (the 'injured' party, aka SS) of their decision, for whatever reason, that they are not going to perform their part of the contact (in this case, cancellation).

The injured party has two choices

1 Not to accept the repudiation, & expect the other party to honour the contract. (ie. let SS supply/fit the windows/doors & pay up)
        2 To accept the termination of the contract (cancellation), & possibly seek 'damages' (restitution).

However, should the injured party choose option 1, they need to make this intention to carry on with the contract clear & unequivocal.

Yukong Line Ltd of Korea v Rendsburg Investments Corporation of Liberia [1996] 2 Lloyd's Rep 604 (Commercial Court)

Bell Electric Ltd v Aweco Appliance Systems GmbH & Co. May 2002 [2002] EWHC 872 (QB)

Restitution

Where the innocent party has suffered no loss, they can usually only recover nominal damages, especially as there was no 'unjust enrichment' gained by the party in breach (KM's neighbour).

Surrey County Council v Bredero Homes Ltd [1993] 1 WLR 1361

(Please note; these are only my thoughts, not legal advice)
        I understood (maybe from the other thread) that SS had stated they expect the OP to honour the contract or they would sue.

You will find that SS will argue that they have started production (even if they haven't - and in this case they would be mad to start given the OPs comments thus far to them). In any event you will probably find SS will 'demonstrate' costs fairly close to the contract value.

IMO (and it pains me to say this as I have nothing but contempt for SS) the OP should continue with the installation or anticipate a legal fight.

I would discuss this all with a solicitor and come up with a 'game plan'. Maybe a well worded solicitors letter may make SS realise the OP means business and back off if only to come to a mutually acceptable settlement.
        They were out to get me!! But now it's too late!!

Comment

Hopefully, the proposed Consumer Rights Act will stop this disgusting practice.
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
            Hopefully, the proposed Consumer Rights Act will stop this disgusting practice.
            In the way that the so-called "Protection of Rights Act" stopped the abuses of the private parking parasites?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
              In the way that the so-called "Protection of Rights Act" stopped the abuses of the private parking parasites?
              That would be the "Protection of Private Parking Parasites' Perceived Rights Act"?
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X