• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mazuma - are they covered by any regulations/protections when things go wrong?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazuma - are they covered by any regulations/protections when things go wrong?

In a nutshell my son contacted Mazuma about selling his mobile phone - a price was agreed (I think £110), a padded addressed envelope received and the phone posted off.

A few days later an email received saying there was a problem with the phone - (wifi not working) - and that they were only prepared to pay the non-working value (£45).

We thought this was rubbish and that they were trying it on and so we clicked on the revised offer REJECT link on the email, and thought no more of it. But no phone.

About 10 days later, we received a notification by email that the £45 had been paid by FPS bank transfer payment.

As it was out of hours by then we filled in a web enquiry form on the Mazuma website (there was no valid email reply on the notification) stating that we had rejected the revised offer and that we wanted the phone back, and requesting details as to how to return the £45.

Three emails later and a higher up Customer Services person responded to say the system was automatic if no response had been received. No record of a 'Reject revised offer' response had been received although they tried to phone my son unsuccessfully (apparently he provided an incorrect phone number - he doesn't remember supplying any phone number only his email address) - it was his responsibility to make sure that correct contact information was supplied - so in the circumstances sorry but nothing else they can do. (It seems they are totally ignoring that previous contact had been successful via email...)

So as far as they are concerned it seems that's that.

This is totally unsatisfactory - and I would like to take this further - but I'm unsure what tack to take. Does arms length/initially online/ then postal phone recycling like this have any protections for when things go wrong. Looking at Mazuma's small print it seems that the whole contract is weighted heavily toward the company - for example if I've read it correctly title to the phone passes to Mazuma as soon as you post it to them in their padded envelope.

I'm assuming that by now the phone itself is probably irrecoverable anyway but once again grateful for any thoughts on this.

Thanks

Andy
    Tags: None

Re: Mazuma - are they covered by any regulations/protections when things go wrong?

I would report this to Trading Standards as soon as possible.

Comment

Re: Mazuma - are they covered by any regulations/protections when things go wrong?

I have been unable to locate an email address for the CEO of the compnay. However, they are part of Ventura Telecom, and I have put the phone number of their Head Office below:

01923 691631

I'd be inclined to phone and ask for the email address of the CEO, failing that the name and write to him at:

Ventura Telecom Ltd. Unit 1 Colne Way Court, Colne Way, Watford WD24 7NE Hertfordshire

Explain the situation initially and see what happens. The initial response from the Exec's office is usually a good indicator of what lies ahead.

Comment

Found Managing Director at last!

charlo.carabott@mazumamobile.com.

You may find this extract from their website useful:

A message from our Managing Director, Charlo Carabott

"I hope that you find our service both easy to use and very rewarding. We are dedicated to delivering all of our promises and offering you a service and experience that surpasses your expectations.

If you have any feedback or feel we can improve any aspect of our service, I would urge you to contact me by phone on 0845 872 3000 or by email on charlo.carabott@mazumamobile.com."

Comment

Good spot, Labman

letter has been written and was about to be printed and enveloped - but will now convert to an email

Thx :thumbup:

Andy

Comment

Print out a copy of the email rejecting the offer to. Make sure it clearly shows the Receiving Email and sending email addresses and time and date it was sent. Usually i clcik forward link as if am going to forward the sent email to someone just to get those details to show with the email message itself. They then can not deny you did not email to reject the offer.
            Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Well a promising start - Received just now via email:

"Dear Andy

Thanks for your email and sorry to hear you are unhappy with our service.

I will personally look into this issue and get back to you via email today.

Kind regards

Charlo Carabott"

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
                Print out a copy of the email rejecting the offer to. Make sure it clearly shows the Receiving Email and sending email addresses and time and date it was sent. Usually i clcik forward link as if am going to forward the sent email to someone just to get those details to show with the email message itself. They then can not deny you did not email to reject the offer.
                Thanks TB

I've sent the letter I wrote as an attachment to an email I sent the managing Director last night - he responded this morning.

The link in their accept/reject email is actually an embedded PHP coded action - so one presumes that clicking it triggers the action to the web server to generate whatever flag the system uses to let the person at the other end know that the offer has been rejected.

Their customer services contend that we didn't send them an email on the date we rejected the amended offer; so either they've misunderstood that they thought we replied by email, or maybe the server generates an email server-side - but that didn't happen for whatever reason.

In any case I've copied the php code embedded in their email and put it in the email I sent to Mazuma last night.

Andy

Comment

Morning all

I had a very similar problem with Cash4phones. Offered me £67.10 online and when they received it they claimed it was 'faulty' and offered £26!! I knew my phone was mint and working 100% ok. After several phone calls, and e-mail messages (none of which were responded to) .

I received a message from this company on Wednesday 3rd October 2012, to say that they would pay me almost half of what they originally offered due to the condition of my phone. I trusted them and accepted that what they had said was true. I then found a forum and discovered that this is not true. I am an ex-policeman (retired) and a former Crown Prosecutor in the Criminal Courts.

I did not propose to let this matter rest, they had my phone for which they made an offer of £67.10 prior to my sending it to them. My phone was in perfect condition and certainly worth the amount offered according to other websites/and mobile phone providers.

I told them that they had until the close of business on Wednesday 10th October 2012, to pay into my account the sum of £67.10. If they did not do so I would immediately thereafter instigate proceedings for recovery of this sum and all or any associated costs. I would also call into my local Police Station and make a formal complaint under Section 15 of the Theft Act 1968 (Obtaining property by deception).

This may result in a Summons being issued by Magistrates or a Police officer arresting an individual reasonably suspected of having committed this offence.

I am not unreasonable but I do not like to be cheated, so I looked forward to their prompt response.

After my posts, I had a telephone call from a female employee. She did her best to tell me that I was in the wrong. She did not succeed. I praise her for her patience, tact and diplomacy - sadly to me they were like 'water off of a duck's back'. That is not her fault. her approach is a credit to the company.

That evening, following her call, I had a telephone call from the MD of Cash4phones. As you may have read I am both an ex-Police Officer and a former Crown Prosecutor (now retired......).

I took some time to explain how the law, (both Civil and more importantly Criminal), viewed the activities of Cash4phones, and the MD assured me that I would be in receipt of the balance, of just over £40 pounds, which they had 'deducted' from their original offer, saying that my phone had 'excessive wear'.

I knew that original assessment of my phone was wrong and untrue, and told him so. I also told him that he is liable for the acts of his staff, and he too could be arrested and dealt with under the 'aid,abet, counsel or procure' legislation (old law I know, but true none the less).

Conclusion to this sorry tale is as follows:

He explained to me that they are a 'fledgling' company and have had great difficulties with staff and customers. He said that they were trying their best to rectify what had become a difficult time for them. Apparently, according to their MD, they were short of staff and were trying to redress that position, which they were gradually achieving.

He appreciated that there were possibly matters, both Civil and Criminal which may have caused upset to 'customers', but he assured me they were rectifying the situation.

He appreciated that in the event that I was not fully recompensed by the end of business at today's date then matters would be escalated to a Summons being issued in the Magistrates Court for a private prosecution, and there may also be action in the Civil Courts for Damages, which could be susbstantial. Papers would also be passed to the OFT. (Trading Standards were already aware of the situation).

I would like to close by saying this: He has been as good as his word, I have today received full and final settlement from his company. He has assured me that 'it will be different from now on'. I have no reason to disbelieve him, and consider that if he can correct the errors, put right any wrongdoing, and 'steer' the comapny on the right course, this may be a very good business in the future.

Personally I shall be putting this whole matter in my closed file, and I wish him and the company well. Whether he takes my advice remains to be seen. I was fair with him and he has been fair and 'has done what it says on the tin.'

I hope this helps when dealing with these companies which seem to be 'springing up'!!

Best wishes to all

Douga
                  l
                  Last edited by Dougal16T; 5th November 2012, 10:37:AM. Reason: poor spelling as usual!!

Comment

I've had a very helpful exchange of emails and am now on first name terms with Charlo Carabott, the Managing Director of Mazuma, who has taken our plaint on personally, and who obviously takes customer care very seriously.

It seems our experience has uncovered a glitch in the system, which they are keen to resolve.

So a satisfactory outcome in the offing here.

Comment

Ok - just an update to say that I've had total satisfaction from Mazuma since their MD took over my case. A cheque in full settlement together with an apology and a promise to review the system to iron out the identified glitch (human error in this case - with thanks for uncovering it) has been received and I am happy to accept this, and to let y'all know that it's a good ending here.

(I take it we like to hear about good endings on this forum...)

Andy

Comment

Excellent, another example of perseverance succeeding. Unfortunately, too many people are prepared to accept a pile of meadow muffins from "customer focused organisations"

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X