• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Creditexpert/Experian - Cancellation of Account

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creditexpert/Experian - Cancellation of Account

Wasnt sure where to post this one, but here goes.
    A bit of a cautionary tale for those of you who have accounts with Creditexpect/Experian.
    A couple of months ago, I opened an account with Creditexpect so get my credit file for a case I had with the FoS - the first month was free.
    I ended up paying two monthly payments of £14.99, and that's the issue.
    I first e-mailed them to cancel and then telephoned (the only way they will accept a cancellation - not sure of the legalities of this?) - the (very brief) chronological events are:
    04.04.12 - telephone conversation cancelling acount - e-mail received from them confirming cancellation and advising that no further payments will be taken from me.
    10.04.12 - £14.99 taken from my bank account (according to my bank statement, the 'effective' date of this transaction was 06.04.12, after the cancellation date)
    I have asked for my money back (twice) but they have resisted, saying it is with the T&C's and that the payment was taken on the same date as the cancellation.
    Needless to say, I have threatened then with the FSA and court action.
    I will post updates.
    Tags: None

Re: Creditexpert/Experian - Cancellation of Account

'No further payments will be taken' is somewhat hard to misinterpret. If they then take further payment, you are in a no lose situation I would imagine. I'd love to see you go through the small claims court and get a CCJ against them. That wouldn't do their reputation or credibility much good.

Go for it and good luck!

Comment

It would be interesting to find out if the Credit Reference Agencies, like the Banks have loads of outstanding CCJs recorded against them.

Comment

I had something similar with Amazon Prime - was paying an annual service for something I did not even know I had.

One phone call got me the return of one years premiums £49 then on the second phone call they agreed the return of the other 3 years. I just told them like you pay me back or I will take out a small claims action etc they agreed instantly. They said because I had not used the service, which is a similar paralell.

In your case had you accessed the account after you cancelled it?

What does their T&C's state ie how many days notice to cancel the service? ie could be 14 days.

Comment

Originally posted by supermac9 View Post
          Wasnt sure where to post this one, but here goes.
          A bit of a cautionary tale for those of you who have accounts with Creditexpect/Experian.
          A couple of months ago, I opened an account with Creditexpect so get my credit file for a case I had with the FoS - the first month was free.
          I ended up paying two monthly payments of £14.99, and that's the issue.
          I first e-mailed them to cancel and then telephoned (the only way they will accept a cancellation - not sure of the legalities of this?) - the (very brief) chronological events are:
          04.04.12 - telephone conversation cancelling acount - e-mail received from them confirming cancellation and advising that no further payments will be taken from me.
          10.04.12 - £14.99 taken from my bank account (according to my bank statement, the 'effective' date of this transaction was 06.04.12, after the cancellation date)
          I have asked for my money back (twice) but they have resisted, saying it is with the T&C's and that the payment was taken on the same date as the cancellation.
          Needless to say, I have threatened then with the FSA and court action.
          I will post updates.
          I had something like this a year or more ago. It was almost impossible to find out how to cancel and then I had to go through lots of hoopps. Sounds like they still make it really difficult (wonder why???). I would definitly threaten with them with complaints to the regulator and action under the Consumer Protection against Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. Wish I had done.

Comment

If they have taken an extra months payment (bear in mind that you pay in advance for the service) then that would be an offence under the theft act 1976. Also telling you that no further payments would be taken only for them to then take a further payment and then tell you that they take the last payment on date of cancellation, well thats just an admission to committing an act of false misrepresentation under the fraud act. Both offenses can be persued under in civil courts as well as criminal, but the police will likely say its a civil matter and to be honest your better off persuing it via civil court to get more compo/damages.
            Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Quick update.
              I've traded a couple of messages with Creditexpert again, and they are absolutely insistent that they applied for the payment before I contacted them (to be precise, they applied in the morning of 04.04.12, while I telephoned them at lunchtime on the same day). What they fail to mention is that I e-mailed them on 08.03.12 to cancel my account (which they acknowledged at that time, although they did point out that I needed to ring them).
              I have referred this to the FOS so we'll see what (if anything) happens - I won't hold my breath.

Comment

Update.
                E-mail from Creditexpert this morning confirming that they will be refunding my £14.99 (albeit reluctantly, as they still insist they were right to charge it).
                I'll pull the FOS off the case.

Comment

Hi

i am having a similar situation at present. Could you please let me know what to mention in further email to CreditExpert to convince them of a refund? Thank you.

Here is what they have stated in their email:
                  Having checked our records I can see that your membership was started on 06/07/2014 and your free trial ended on 05/08/2014. I have checked our records and can tell you that that I am unable to trace any previous correspondence prior to 05/08/2014 from you to cancel your membership.

The Terms and Conditions clearly outline the fact that we offer a free trial. At the end of this period, we will claim a monthly membership fee if the member does not notify us before this date that they wish to cancel.

Therefore the payment was taken in line with our Terms and Conditions and due to this reason I am unable to offer you any refund.

Having checked our records I can see that your CreditExpert membership was cancelled on 05/08/2014.

Thank you for your reply.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X