• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cancelling contract for goods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancelling contract for goods

Hi,

I made an online purchase for £540 which was paid at the time by debit card. The company sends me an email two days later stating that the money has been refunded due to:

"Unfortunately during the time between your request for an order with us and the processing stage of your order our distributors have gone out of stock of this product. This is a rare situation due to our frequently updated electronic stock feeds but occasionally an unforeseen rush on a product can occur or an update to the stock feed can fail to complete properly"

I've checked online and the company now have the same goods on sale for £720. Clearly they cancelled the order because of the price change and not because of being out of stock.

My understanding is that once the money is paid in full, there is a contract between the two of us.

On their website under the T&Cs there is a passage:

2.2 Every effort is made to ensure that prices shown on the website are accurate at the time you place your order. If an error is found, we will inform you as soon as possible and offer you the option of reconfirming your order at the correct price, or cancelling your order. If we doe not receive an order confirmation within 7 days of informing you of the error, the order will be cancelled automatically. If you cancel the order, or if the order is cancelled automatically due to the expiry of the 7 day period, we will refund or re-credit you for any sum that has been paid by you or debited from your credit card for the goods.
    2.3 The goods are subject to availability. If on receipt of your order the goods you have ordered are not available in stock, we will inform you as soon as possible and refund or re-credit you for any sum that has been paid by you or debited from your credit card. We strive to ensure that all goods are delivered on time, however we do not accept liability for goods delivered on an unspecified day. We will not be liable for any consequential or indirect loss such as loss of profits, loss of goodwill, damage to trading relationships and financial loss. Our liability in respect of all other losses shall be limited to the invoiced value of the relevant order.

Does this still give the legal right to cancel a contract? I know there are many instances where companies fall back on their T&Cs only to have to be reminded that they are not legal. I just want to know whether these are legal and the company can cancel a contract once it has been made?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Hi
    Welcome to LB

Please read the article "Trading online: making a contract with your customer" at www.netlawman.co.uk
    In particular the paragraphs under the heading "Be clear when the contract is formed"
    For credit or debit card purchase there is a secondary transaction service provider (TSP)
    It does seem that the trader covered themselves contractually for internet sales when they published the terms 2.2 and 2.3 above to cancel the purchase

Comment

In their T&Cs is there a wording such as:
      "Your order will be accepted by us (and a contract will then be formed between us) when we despatch the goods to you."
      Very commonly used by online retailers.
      Can you prove the stock was available when they started to process your order?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

In their T&Cs is there a wording such as:
        "Your order will be accepted by us (and a contract will then be formed between us) when we despatch the goods to you."
        Very commonly used by online retailers.
        Can you prove the stock was available when they started to process your order?
        Unfortunately not other than the fact they had it on their website. They are showing as 42 available as of today though.

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
          Hi
          Welcome to LB

Please read the article "Trading online: making a contract with your customer" at www.netlawman.co.uk
          In particular the paragraphs under the heading "Be clear when the contract is formed"
          For credit or debit card purchase there is a secondary transaction service provider (TSP)
          It does seem that the trader covered themselves contractually for internet sales when they published the terms 2.2 and 2.3 above to cancel the purchase
          Thanks for pointing out that article. Quite an interesting read...

From what I understand a contract is formed essentially when the seller emails and confirms the order. I did receive a cleverly written email which starts out with
          "thank you for placing the following order with us..."

which then goes on to detail the parts ordered and then goes on to

"We will confirm your order shortly unless any mistakes or stock issues arise, in which case we will contact you to resolve any problems."

I also see there is a get-out clause for craftily written T&Cs with the ubiquitous tick-box saying you agree to the ambiguous and hole ridden T&C's.
          It sounds like even if I did have a leg to stand on, by ticking this box, I'm waiving those rights.

Ah well, worth asking just to be sure...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X