• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Without prejudice offer deters future claims?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Without prejudice offer deters future claims?

Before starting my claim, I received a without prejudice offer to settle the claim against a car dealer for a missing feature on the car. The offer stated that it would be a ‘full and final settlement of all claims arising from the sale of the vehicle.’

To my understanding, the settlement includes all present claims, although I only have one claim against them. As I read from some of the case law, not only present, but also future potential claims may be included in this settlement, provided that the claimant was aware of the potential claims at the time of settlement.

If I accept the settlement, and subsequently another fault arises which is remediable by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, would I still have recourse if the fault(s) could not have been reasonably foreseen at the time of settlement? For instance, the gearbox breaks down (unlikely in this particular model of car) three months later and it is established that the fault existed at the time of purchase.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.
    Tags: None

The main purpose of a "without prejudice" offer is an attempt to settle the dispute without admitting liability (the offer cannot be used in court)
    So you can "without prejudice" accept the offer if you wish, and make a claim under CRA if a fault as you suggested presents itself within 6 months from the date of delivery

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
      The main purpose of a "without prejudice" offer is an attempt to settle the dispute without admitting liability (the offer cannot be used in court)
      So you can "without prejudice" accept the offer if you wish, and make a claim under CRA if a fault as you suggested presents itself within 6 months from the date of delivery
      Thank you very much for your explanation

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X