• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Plumber woes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumber woes

Had a plumber start back in March to rip-out and install 4 new small ensuites, supposed 7 week job now 23 weeks, working to drawings and most items and tiling poor/wrong/unfinished.

I purchased the materials and paid most of the labour money (into his girlfriends account) and now he only comes at his own convenience (weekends and only for a few hours) and after 2 summer holidays.

This is my personal home with young daughters and we have struggled with none or only one working bathroom.

What if any consumer laws has he breached and what redress do I have?

I'm flabbergasted just the other day he sent my wife out for fittings for his screw up whilst she was dealing with our dying family dog whilst trying to console our children.

Transpires he has upset all local bathroom showrooms with his poor workmanship and poor payment history with tilers. Also, had to change his trading name.
    Last edited by MLW; 23rd August 2024, 09:34:AM.
    Tags: None

Hi
    Did you get a quote for labour from the tradesman? Did he put the estimate time of 7 weeks to finish the job in writing?
    Have you made any changes to the content of the work before or after the plumber started?

Under CRA, if no price or time for the service is agreed, then the service provider must carry out the work at a reasonable price and within a reasonable time. What is reasonable is a matter of fact and in a court would need an expert report from a professional such as a qualified building surveyor

Whilst the work is ongoing and after the plumber has left for the day you should start taking dated photos, especially of the poor workmanship.

You should let the plumber know you are unhappy about the time the job is taking and his standard of finish, citing examples
    Confirm what you said by email

There may come a point where you have had enough and you have to tell him not to return anymore. It is a pity you have already paid most of the labour. You would need the services of another tradesman to complete the work and then start a court claim to recover you loss

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X