• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car not fit for purpose

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car not fit for purpose

Hello,

I purchased a car from a dealership. I paid part ex, part cash, and a small amount on finance. I have had the car for 4 and a half months. I have done 3100 miles.

I was driving the car and it came up with an error ‘gearbox in emergency mode’ - looked this up online and it looks as though it’s the mechatronic unit which is an expensive fix around £3500.

The dealer has taken the car to try and repair after going back and forth between the finance company and them as originally the dealer said I have to pay for this myself. They are looking at it Monday and if deemed it’s too expensive and not worth it to try and fix I can reject the car. So far they’ve had the car for 2 weeks. The finance company offered to pay for recovery of the car to the dealer as the dealer refused.

what are my rights? I’ve asked numerous times for updates etc, I’ve got 3 small children and it’s really difficult to get out without a car. They don’t have any timeframe, all they said is it will be a while if it’s the mechatronics and to hire a car.

the finance company they can defer a payment which won’t affect my credit score if I need to pay for transport which I don’t want to do.

Thank you!
    Tags: None

Hi
    Welcome to LB
    Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, after 30 days and less than 6 months from purchase, the dealer must be given one chance to repair the vehicle's fault which the dealer should do within a reasonable time and without causing the consumer significant inconvenience. If the dealer fails to do this, the consumer may reject the car. The dealer is entitled to make a reduction on the refund for usage, usually based on the car's mileage driven by the consumer.
    The consumer does not have to reject the vehicle, but may chose to give the dealer a second chance to repair, or agree on a suitable replacement vehicle
    The dealer has had the car for 2 weeks and hasn't yet diagnosed the fault with the gearbox. The dealer is in danger of not fixing the fault within a reasonable time and is definitely causing you much inconvenience. You should ask for a courtesy car.
    Under the legislation you can claim damages. You were told to hire a car. Did they say they would pay the hire costs?
    Many garages provide a courtesy car while the car is being repaired to reduce damages the consumer can claim

Comment

As the vehicle is on finance, copy the finance house into any correspondence with the dealer and report any phone calls to them as well.
      They own the vehicle and are also liable for costs etc

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X