• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rejecting a car on finance, that dealer modified (infotainment unit), problem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejecting a car on finance, that dealer modified (infotainment unit), problem?

Hi there!

I'll do my best to keep this short. I bought a car on hire purchase 2 weeks ago and complained to the dealer that it wasn't as described due to missing bluetooth. I found a few other issues and asked him to take the car back. I wasn't completely sure of my rights at this point and he talked me out of it. He said he would fit a Car Play system in the car for a fee to solve the issue and so I said yes.

Fast forward a week and the Car Play system is fitted and as soon as I leave the dealership the system is lagging, audio is stuttering, its clearly a third-party unit that has been ordered from China and even the english is off due ot translations. I assumed he would have fitted a genuine VW system as he said he'd fix another issue (broken shift plate) by ordering directly off of VW and going on about how its not about the money for him and he wants the car to be ok and all of that other dealer rubbish they talk.

Fast forward another week and a variety of issues are identified. In particular, a faulty drive shaft causing a metallic knocking noise while driving and causing the car to judder. I got an inspection report along with photos and have now reported it to my finance company who are going to assign a case handler and help come to a resolution (my desired outcome being a refund and taking the car back).

I'm worried that where he modified the car with that infotainment system, the finance company will come back and say that I have voided my contract or that they can't take it back or something. I don't know if they are going to ask the dealer to take it back as he sold it faulty, or if they will have to. If they do then I'm concerned they are going to make this difficult for me. At the time I was an idiot that should have gone through the terms properly but it didn't even occur to me and I assumed the dealer had my best interest as it was family run and he had hundreds of 5 star reviews.

Does anybody know what some of the likely outcomes are for this and if I will still be able to return the car? I'm so stressed out about this its unbelievable. I asked the dealer to take the car back 3 times before going to the finance company because I was unaware my rights were with them. He won't exercise my right to reject until the finance company speak to him.
    Tags: None

Hi
    Welcome to LB
    The dealer, not you, fitted the infotainment system to the finance company's car. You can't be held responsible, the dealer attempted to correct the fault.
    More important is the serious fault regarding the drive shaft. You have acted correctly reporting this issue to the finance company. Don't let the case handler delay your case. Keep pushing for rejection of the car and a full refund
    Keep a diary of events, emails, phone conversations
    If necessary make an official complaint to the finance company and if you are not satisfied with the outcome you can refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Please update the forum with the Finance Company's decision

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
      Hi
      Welcome to LB
      The dealer, not you, fitted the infotainment system to the finance company's car. You can't be held responsible, the dealer attempted to correct the fault.
      More important is the serious fault regarding the drive shaft. You have acted correctly reporting this issue to the finance company. Don't let the case handler delay your case. Keep pushing for rejection of the car and a full refund
      Keep a diary of events, emails, phone conversations
      If necessary make an official complaint to the finance company and if you are not satisfied with the outcome you can refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Please update the forum with the Finance Company's decision
      Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Really? Is this true even though I agreed to let him do this after I had purchased the car? I feel like an idiot but I didn't even stop to think that it counted as modification, nor did I think he'd buy a cheap unit when he told me they cost about £280 (which is the price of a genuine one) just more lies I guess.

I definitely will. I've made a timeline for the finance company as well as sent all of the correspondence I had with the dealer, most of which are met with no reply which looks awful on his part. I've also sent videos and photos and the garage's inspection report.

I'll definitely chase them Monday. I made the complaint on the 3rd July and am yet to get a case handler which is really frustrating as I'm not using the car and can't get a new one until this agreement is cancelled!

I really appreciate your advice and will keep you updated.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X