• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Filing a Claim Online - "Who are you making the claim against?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filing a Claim Online - "Who are you making the claim against?"

Hi!

Maybe a useful question to answer for all kinds of litigants...

Say some shoddy work's been done by an outfit that works under a brand name used on website, Insta, Facebook etc, and it uses an online invoicing service for payment with the dotcom address on it. Payments go to a named individual, but they're not listed as a company director/owner.

Everything you can print off has the name of the website on it, not the gaffer's name.

According to the online system, there's 4 options to choose from:

"An individual" (For example someone you lent money to)
    "A sole trader or self-employed person" (For example a tradesperson who did work for you)
    "A limited company" (For example a company that sold you goods or services)
    "Another type of organisation" (For example a partnership, trust, charity, club or association)
    What's the best way to file the claim without having it rejected on the basis that you're naming the defendant incorrectly?

TIA
    Tags: None

Hi

Based on what you have described, I think we can rule out an individual since they are operating under a brand (you may wish to screenshot that evidence if disputed by the individual).

It is a legal requirement for limited companies require certain information to be on their stationary such as the name, registered address and company number. If there's no such information displayed on these social media pages, then you can reasonably rule out a limited company. You can also verify this by checking the company name using Companies House register online and checking to see if that company exists, the company address matches and the individual is a director of the company.

Other types of organisations have similar but not so stringent requirements like a limited company and you should know on the face of it who you might be contracting with, so this could potentially be ruled out.

That leaves a sole trader or a self employed person which sounds about right in the absence of any information being disclosed above. It's possible the individual is providing services in their own personal capacity but then using a trading name e.g. Joe Bloggs trading as XXXX. If that's what you think it might be then that's the name of the defendant you list in the box.

Who you contract with is a question of fact based on the information and evidence you have in your possession. Operating a brand name, payments being deposited into an individual account are indicative as someone as a sole trader operating under a trading name, but it is not conclusive. It would be up to the individual to prove that the contract was not with them but a company or some other outfit.

If you are willing to share the website name, maybe we can check and form a better opinion.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X