• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Banned from all stores

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banned from all stores

HI, I stupidly took things from Tesco, out of worry and embarrassment, It was wrong I have never stolen before. I had paid for most of it. I was stopped at the door and taken to the managers office. The security officer said he was following me and said I was looking at cameras which was untrue. I explained and apologised and offered to pay, I was shaking so much at this point. I had been to a couple of other shops beforehand but had no receipt. They scanned everything and the things from other stores came up as theirs. I had to pay for it again as I had no proof I had already bought it, which I deserved really. They said I was permanently banned from all stores. They didn't involve police, they didn't take any details not even my name. They didn't give me anything written. Obviously they will have my debit card transaction.

I am concerned about going in ever again if I am with someone who wants to go in. I asked about this they said go to another shop.

Will CCTV recognise me if I were to go in any Tesco ever again? Do the tills have facial recognition?

I am so mortified about it all and and don't want to have to explain to others, I know I should never have done it but to be banned for life seems harsh.
    Tags: None

Why do you think it unfair that after you have attempted to steal from them they wish you never to darken their doors again? Their stores are private property - they can refuse entry to whoever they choose.

They will not be scanning for your face.

In practice, stay away for a few months. After that, they may well have forgotten about you.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I appreciate why they gave the ban, and that they have the right to, its the permanently part, usually when I hear of these things happening it's temporary. It really didn't help that they believed I had taken far more than I had. I know I should not have taken anything, it was so so stupid, I am so ashamed and grateful police were not involved.

Do the self service till not have facial recognition?

How do they enforce it across all stores?

Comment

You say you paid for everything. That's an end of the matter, nothing was taken.
        As Atticus says, stay away for a few months, if they do stop you, they will just 'ask you to leave'.
        There is help out there i.e. food etc.

Comment

Yes, most of which I had already paid for at another shop but it scanned as there's, some things I didn't realise Tesco even sold. I think it was about three times what it was worth, especially with things costing more at Tesco, but it was my fault.

I have read things about the cameras on the self service tills saving your image and being able to alert CCTV if you enter a store again, I know in other stores I wouldn't be recognised by staff so there must be something that stops people if they have been banned from all stores.

I don't know if they took my photo when they took photos of my bags and didn't notice.

I am questioning myself now if they said permanently, I think they did but I wasn't given anything.

Also would my debit card flag up? I have cancelled my club card in case my husband uses it and it causes trouble.

Would I need a new account to pay with card?

I'm terrified of going back into one with someone and being stopped or worse, my heart keeps racing at the thought.
          Last edited by mode20; 28th March 2024, 10:40:AM.

Comment

Why not shop elsewhere for a while?
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by mode20 View Post
              Yes, most of which I had already paid for at another shop but it scanned as there's, some things I didn't realise Tesco even sold. I think it was about three times what it was worth, especially with things costing more at Tesco, but it was my fault.

I have read things about the cameras on the self service tills saving your image and being able to alert CCTV if you enter a store again, I know in other stores I wouldn't be recognised by staff so there must be something that stops people if they have been banned from all stores.

I don't know if they took my photo when they took photos of my bags and didn't notice.

I am questioning myself now if they said permanently, I think they did but I wasn't given anything.

Also would my debit card flag up? I have cancelled my club card in case my husband uses it and it causes trouble.

Would I need a new account to pay with card?

I'm terrified of going back into one with someone and being stopped or worse, my heart keeps racing at the thought.
              Just steer clear for a couple of months, then when you think you can 'face it' go in, test the water.
              You are saying it was a 'genuine mistake', if so, you don't need to change anything.
              Just carry on with your day to day life.

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
                Why not shop elsewhere for a while?
                I will, I don't go that often as it is, but I'm more worried about long term, I can't avoid the topic forever if my husband wants to go in or I get asked to get something from there

Also I have no idea how they would know if I went in again, is it an empty threat?
                Last edited by mode20; 28th March 2024, 11:29:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

Just steer clear for a couple of months, then when you think you can 'face it' go in, test the water.
                  You are saying it was a 'genuine mistake', if so, you don't need to change anything.
                  Just carry on with your day to day life.
                  Genuine?
                  I did take a few things, which I know was so so stupid and wrong, I had already paid for some things from there and from another shop which a lot was scanning as theirs and I couldn't prove it wasn't. I am genuinely sorry, I was apologising to the manger even after I had paid and was allowed to go.

There must be a way they would know if I went into another store or into that one even if the staff left say or why give the ban?

A debit card wouldn't flag?

Comment

Genuine?
                    I did take a few things, which I know was so so stupid and wrong, I had already paid for some things from there and from another shop which a lot was scanning as theirs and I couldn't prove it wasn't. I am genuinely sorry, I was apologising to the manger even after I had paid and was allowed to go.

There must be a way they would know if I went into another store or into that one even if the staff left say or why give the ban?

A debit card wouldn't flag?
                    Yes, but you also say you paid for everything in the end, but paid for other stuff twice which had been purchased elsewhere.
                    The best to get answers to your question is to visit a company store, but another branch.

Comment

Yes, but you also say you paid for everything in the end, but paid for other stuff twice which had been purchased elsewhere.
                      The best to get answers to your question is to visit a company store, but another branch.
                      Yes as I hadn't got a receipt so anything branded showed as theirs, they did see that some things were brands from the other shop or had the sticker. One of the rare times I said no to the receipt.

Going to another store seems logical if needed but there must be a way to monitor people or how could they impose a ban

Is it normal for them not to take details? or would they have them through card/clubcard?

Comment

Yes as I hadn't got a receipt so anything branded showed as theirs, they did see that some things were brands from the other shop or had the sticker. One of the rare times I said no to the receipt.

Going to another store seems logical if needed but there must be a way to monitor people or how could they impose a ban

Is it normal for them not to take details? or would they have them through card/clubcard?
                        They have security guards, it's probably 'hit and miss' if they recognize you.
                        They don't always take details, but why bother? when you've payed.
                        They would obviously have details, but you paid.
                        So what do you think you did?

Comment

They have security guards, it's probably 'hit and miss' if they recognize you.
                          They don't always take details, but why bother? when you've payed.
                          They would obviously have details, but you paid.
                          So what do you think you did?
                          So that's the only way they would know if it was the same security guard or staff?

Well at first they said they were calling the police, then didn't, maybe it was to scare me, then never even took a name. I think they believed some was already paid for.

Sorry, I'm confused as to whether they would have details

how do you mean about what I did

I am paranoid about it all, as though if I went into any store a camera would somehow recognise me and police being involved

Comment

You probably think they have a lot of time to investigate a non-event, you paid for everything.
                            They haven't got time to waste, which it would be.

I mean, what crime do you believe you committed?

I am paranoid about it all, as though if I went into any store a camera would somehow recognise me and police being involved

You really shouldn't be, the matter has been dealt with, you paid for all the items. 'camera, recognition, police' isn't going to happen.

Comment

You probably think they have a lot of time to investigate a non-event, you paid for everything.
                              They haven't got time to waste, which it would be.

I mean, what crime do you believe you committed?

You really shouldn't be, the matter has been dealt with, you paid for all the items. 'camera, recognition, police' isn't going to happen.

I just don't see how they would have no way of enforcing bans especially permanently if staff changed or in another store.
                              Was it an empty threat?

I took things, could they not theoretically still report me even though I paid?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/super...trose-30910933

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X