• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Interpretation of warranty term

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interpretation of warranty term

I'm in dispute with a car manufacturer over the interpretation of a term in their warranty exclusions. We are at an impasse.
    I can go through The Motor Ombudsman dispute scheme or issue a small court claim. If the latter would the court expect me first to apply to the Ombudsman scheme and dismiss my claim?
    Thanks
    Tags: None

Hi
    The judge will expect both parties to attempt to resolve the dispute using ADR, which includes an ombudsman's services
    Your LBA should offer the other party ADR and the manufacturer may choose the motor ombudsman.
    The judge may order the court case to be stayed whilst an attempt is made to resolve the dispute by ADR

Comment

Originally posted by PBaghela
      No worries, here's a concise reply:

In your dispute with the car manufacturer, both The Motor Ombudsman and a small court claim are options. Courts generally encourage using alternative dispute resolution (ADR) like the Ombudsman scheme before going to court.

Here's a breakdown:
      • The Motor Ombudsman: Faster, potentially cheaper, less formal. Not binding, but most manufacturers follow their decisions.
      • Small Court Claim: More formal, potentially higher award, binding decision. Can be slower and more expensive.

Recommendation:

Try The Motor Ombudsman first. If you're unhappy with the outcome, you can still pursue a small court claim. However, the court might ask why you didn't use the Ombudsman first.

Tip: Check your car manufacturer's warranty for any specific dispute resolution requirements.
      Thanks
      If I was not successful with ADR and pursued a court claim would the court be aware of the ADR decision?

Comment

The other party would be daft not to put that in evidence before the Court!

NB, do not rely on ChatGPT bots like PBaghela.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by roythegrass View Post

Thanks
          If I was not successful with ADR and pursued a court claim would the court be aware of the ADR decision?
          Thanks Atti. In that case the court would simply uphold the ADR decision so there would be little point in issuing a small claim unless the ADR made a wrong interpretation of the law.

Comment

I will rely on section 69 of the Consumer Rights Act and the Contra Proferentem rule in contract law.

Comment

If there is an ambiguity, do that, including in your complaint to the Ombudsman.
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X