• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Successful Section 75 - Retailer Action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successful Section 75 - Retailer Action

I'm after a bit of advice regarding a successful Section 75 Dispute that took place in November 2022.

The dispute was in relation to two products that were purchased from House of Fraser. The dispute was on the grounds of inaccurate, misleading advertising on products.

Two Jack Wills shirts were promoted with images showing a blue shirt with white buttons, and a description stating the buttons were white.

The received product was a blue shirt with dark blue buttons.

When challenged, the retailer initially advised I'd received the wrong item, and sent a replacement.

A replacement order was received, which was exactly the same, HOF advised if I wasn't happy I'd need to pay to return the items for a credit note (not a refund) as the items were adequate. I suggested that the images and description on the website should be amended to reflect the actual product being sold.

House of Fraser refused to amend the website as the products were photographed using "Studio Lighting" which was the reason the images did not match the product being sold.

I initiated a Section 75 dispute which was successful and I was issued a full refund for the impacted items.

Today, over a year later and out of the blue I received an email from House of Fraser Digital Risk Team, the email outlined:

"At Frasers Group, we regularly review customer profiles. It's been brought to our attention that you raised a dispute on order in subject. Due to this chargeback, we have made the decision to suspend your account. We can also see that the bank closed this dispute in your favour".

This means my online account is suspended for all Fraser Group sites (House of Fraser, Sports Direct, Flannels, Game etc). It seems utterly unfair that I am effectively 'banned' for proving the retailer was wrong in their selling practices and customer complaint procedures.

Has anyone had similar experiences either with HOF or other retailers and what further action can I take/initate?
    Last edited by jvglos95; 4th March 2024, 15:54:PM.
    Tags: None

You can contact the CEO and make a complaint and see if that makes any difference. However HoF are entitled to do what they did. No-one has a legal right to an online account with a retailer and if HoF don't want you as a customer they are entitled to make that decision.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

OP's thread amended
      PA is right you should send a letter of complaint to the CEO. When they sent an item not as advertised the retailer should pay for return postage. When HoF did it a second time it caused you frustration and inconvenience. You should state this in your letter and you consider it totally unfair your internet account has been suspended
      Last edited by Pezza54; 4th March 2024, 16:17:PM.

Comment

Pezza54 - Sorry I should have been a little more clearer. The images showed a blue shirt with white buttons, and description was "Blue shirt with pearl white buttons".

However the shirt was off blue with dark blue buttons.

I agree, potentially HOF is upset that I was successful with the claim, it was a Section 75 Claim.

Comment

As stated above email the CEO, hit their social media, leave a Trustpilot review, send their Head Office some doughnuts, they've clearly taken it personally.

Alex Williamson
          CEO
          House of Fraser
          alex@houseoffraser.co.uk

Comment

This looks like a good case in which to send a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection legislation.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
              This looks like a good case in which to send a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection legislation.
              That's actually a really good idea! Thankyou

Comment

jvglos95 - you might consider it unfair, but unless they are discriminating against you because you possess a protected characteristic, HoF are perfectly entitled to choose who they do - or do not do - business with

So far as I'm aware, winning a s75 claim is not a protected characteristic, and there is no law against "unfairly" suspending someone's account**.

The merit or otherwise of your original complaint against HoF is irrelevant.

Incidentally, you may have asked your credit card provider to raise a s75 claim, but are you 100% certain that they did that and that they didn't process a chargeback instead?

The reason I ask is that s75 payouts are usually funded by your card provider, have no impact on the retailer, and the retailer rarely learns of them. But chargebacks are actually funded from the retailer's bank account - so of course they are aware of them.

Even if you specifically ask your card provider to make a s75 claim, they have a vested interest in processing a chargeback instead. The card provider pays out on a s75 claim, but the retailer pays out on a chargeback.

If you are going to make a SAR to HoF you should do one to your card provider too - in order to see if they actually did what you asked them to do. (If they did process a chargeback rather than a s75 claim, you could complain to your card provider that because they didn't do what you instructed them to do, HoF have suspended your account... )

** I don't know if this is actually true or not, but it appears to be widely believed that if you raise a s75 claim, or a chargeback claim, or issue a court claim against Amazon, then they will suspend your account and refuse to do any future business with you or with anyone associated with your account - eg same card details, same name, same address etc

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X