• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Used car problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So we have just rememebred there was further communication which I haven't yet added here (dated 1st March):

I have one final solution and it will be my final offer.

Please be aware that if you reject my 4th proposal I will expect this to go to litigation and I will be happy for that process to commence and let them determin if I have been reasonable or not.

My final proposal is as follows and therefore should be considered carefully.

I will send you £2000 towards the cost of repair at the original garage as per the original quotation.

I will also pay for the return of your car to the same garage you had the quotation from

If again you reject this offer I will communicate only with your legal representative.

This final offer will be available until 4th March 2024.

If no communication has been made on or before the 4th March please understand my offer will be removed.

Without prejudice.
    So I will update the LBA with this communication stating that this final offer was unacceptable and that we will open court proceedings.

Comment

The redrafted LBA is better.

The strength of your claim relies on your wife's acceptance to the dealer's offer to repair the car at no cost to her (as CRA), dealer accepting return and then failing to repair the car within a reasonable time causing you significant inconvenience (not to mention additional expense-alternative means of travel)

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
        The redrafted LBA is better.

The strength of your claim relies on your wife's acceptance to the dealer's offer to repair the car at no cost to her (as CRA), dealer accepting return and then failing to repair the car within a reasonable time causing you significant inconvenience (not to mention additional expense-alternative means of travel)
        Yeah, we accepted that and sent the car up (the next day after he suggested this) under the understanding that it would be repaired free-of-charge. I will see if we have written proof of our acceptance of that.

I will modify the LBA draft to mention that also..

Thank you !

Comment

Even if you didn't write agreeing to his offer, your act of delivering the car to the dealership confirms your acceptance

You don't need to include it in the LBA, just make sure it is the main point of your wife's claim

Comment

Thanks for all of the help so far.

We have evidence for the dealer's offer to repair the vehicle (without any mention of cost), acceptance of the offer and subsequent retraction of the offer, only once his mechanic had looked at it and realised how expensive the repair would be !

I have created a final draft of the LBA. We intend to send it out tomorrow, unless there is anything glaringly wrong !

Ref: XXXX XXX
            CAB / Trading Standards Case Number: XXXX

To whom it may concern,

Letter Before Court Claim

On XX Aug 2023 I purchased and took delivery of the XXX vehicle (registration XX XX) from you. On XX Jan 2024 I discovered that it was not of satisfactory quality: the car has a powertrain fault and was diagnosed to need significant engine repairs including new camshafts and XXXX.

To date I have not received a satisfactory outcome to my letter dated XX Feb 2024 Letter Rejecting used car which explained what is wrong with the vehicle and why I am entitled to a repair at your cost or replacement.

On XX Feb 2024 we had agreed that you had the right to repair, so I returned the vehicle to you and you would repair the car to a satisfactory condition. After accepting your offer and returning the car to you, this offer was retracted via email dated 29 Feb 2024 and you requested that I pay 50% of the repair costs estimated at £2,500. This is not a satisfactory outcome.

On XX Mar 2024 you proposed to deliver the car to a garage of my choice and contribute £2,000 towards the repair costs. This is not a satisfactory outcome.

I am now requesting a refund of £6,9xx.00, on the grounds that the goods were not of satisfactory quality under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and you have refused to repair or replace the goods at your cost. This figure has been calculated by:
            • The original purchase price of £6,9xx.00. I enclose a copy of the proof of purchase.
            • Deduction for fair use of £777.00 based on 3,xxx miles at 25p/mile.
            • Diagnosis costs of £320.00 from xxxx.
            • Transport costs of £429.00 returning the vehicle to you.

To avoid taking court action, I am willing to use Alternative Dispute Resolution to resolve this problem.

If I do not receive a satisfactory response from you within 14 days of the date of this letter, I intend to issue proceedings against you in the county court without further notice. This may increase your liability for costs.

I refer you to the Practice Direction on pre-action conduct under the Civil Procedure Rules, and in particular to paragraph 13-16 which sets out the sanctions the court may impose if you fail to comply with the Practice Direction.

Yours faithfully

Comment

The dealer has responded (with two days to spare).

We will continue with the money claim.

This is to confirm receipt of your last letter and respond within a timely manner.

I would like to make you aware that when you had your car transported to my garage the cars engine components were in boxes and spread around the interior and boot compartment.

I am not entirely sure if you are aware of this however images have been taken to support my findings.

I raise this issue because this was not how the car was presented to you on collection. You may have a different opinion on this however finding a garage that will re build the top part of the engine to diagnose another garages findings is not easy and can often be costly.

This is why I offered to pay for your car to be transported back to your garage that originally dismantled the engine and pay £2000 towards the invoice which was in my opinion a very fair proposal.

Based on the dismantled engine I will not be offering you a return of goods option as this was not how the vehicle was handed over to you over 6 months ago.

I am again replenishing my final offer to pay for the return of your vehicle to the garage that dismantled the engine and pay no more than £2000 towards the cost to repair.

I hope you feel this is fair and reasonable as my interest is to help support you and the repair of your vehicle.

Without prejudice

Comment

When you made the bank transfer via the internet and entered the dealer's bank a/c number etc did the payment show that it was being made to a personal account or a limited company's account?

Is the dealer right, did you deliver the car back with a dismantled engine and engine parts in boxes in the boot?

Under CRA Section 20 (7) (b) if the consumer chooses to return the goods he has a duty to return the goods to the trader as agreed

Did the dealer agree that the car could be returned with the engine partly dismantled? Judging by his latest email it doesn't sound like it
                Last edited by Pezza54; 3rd April 2024, 16:11:PM.

Comment

Hi Pezza,

Sorry for the long response. I have been travelling with work and completely snowed under.

When you made the bank transfer via the internet and entered the dealer's bank a/c number etc did the payment show that it was being made to a personal account or a limited company's account?
                  We have checked my wife's bank statements. For the two transactions, the statement shows the LTD company name and also she remembers that it was to a LTD company. Is there some way of checking? I can phone the bank and double check?

Is the dealer right, did you deliver the car back with a dismantled engine and engine parts in boxes in the boot?

Under CRA Section 20 (7) (b) if the consumer chooses to return the goods he has a duty to return the goods to the trader as agreed

Did the dealer agree that the car could be returned with the engine partly dismantled? Judging by his latest email it doesn't sound like it

Yeah we verbally discussed this with the dealer over the phone and agreed that the garage which we paid to diagnose the car would partially reassemble it as it would need to be disassembled further anyway to be inspected. I believe this was just a cover and some additional parts which were related to the area and didn't make sense to put back together, e.g not the complete engine as in the reply!

I am not sure why the dealer is making a fuss about this now, since we have been in contact previously regarding the work they would undertake and hadn't mentioned this was a problem, he is only mentioning it now that we have threatened court action, so I think it is a scare tactic?

I will try to find some email proof where they said that the car was in their care and see if there is anything around accepting it etc. But I do not think so, it was only a message to say it was received.

The garage which we paid to diagnose the car left this note in their invoice about the state of the car:

partially reassemble engine for transportation to
                  other garage. (Refit wheel arch liner,
                  under trays, rocker cover, injectors, fuel
                  rail, HP fuel pump and lines. Exhaust
                  Vanos Central valve threaded sleeve
                  refitted but loose IN VANOS hub plate
                  and central valve loose parts left in tray
                  in passenger footwell. All remaining
                  engine ancillary items and fittings left in
                  boot.

So as a next step we will attempt to write the money claim and post a draft here over the coming days.

Comment

Please read Practice Direction 16 Statements of Case Paragraphs 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 3.1,3.2, 3.3, 7.3, 7.4, 7.5, 10.1
                    Following this practice direction should save you time and answer any queries you may have when drafting your PoC

Comment

Thanks. I have read the Practice Direction and have some questions.

1) The amount we are claiming is purchase price MINUS fair usage PLUS diagnosis costs PLUS transport costs. Should we also tick the box to ask for interest on top of this amount? The form suggests it is 8% from claim submission date.

2) Witness statement - is this something I can do as a witness ? What should I put in here ?

3) Timeline & evidence - I have summarised this as best as possible in the claim.

3) Draft Particulars of Claim - please see below. Any comments welcome. This is my first time doing this - so I hope it works well.

1. Introduction
                      This claim is brought against the Defendant, <COMPANY NAME> LTD, for breach of contract under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

2. The facts
                      On xx August 2023, I purchased a car, <Make> <Model> (<Registration>), from the Defendant for £<Total Cost>.

Shortly after purchase, on xx January 2024 and only 3,xxx miles driven, I identified a fault with the car: the car was stuck in limp-home mode and showed a power-train fault on the dashboard.

3. The Consumer Rights Act 2015
                      Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, the car must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described at the time of purchase.

4. Negotiations and agreement
                      I contacted the Defendant on xx January 2024 to inform them of the fault. Initially, the Defendant took no responsibility for the fault or any action.

On 23 January 2024 a mobile vehicle technician suggested the car’s repair bill would exceed its value. I booked the car to be diagnosed at an independent BMW garage, xxxxxx Ltd. The Defendant again took no responsibility for the fault or any action.

On 14 February 2024, xxxx Ltd suggested significant repairs were required, replacing Vanos gear, central solenoid valve and camshaft with an estimate of £2,xxx.06 including parts and labour. On xxxx February 2024 the defendant offered to pay £1,000 towards this bill but retracted the offer on 15 February 2024.

On 15 February 2024, the Defendant offered to repair the car at no cost to me. I agreed to this offer on 15 February 2024 and arranged for delivery of the vehicle to his garage at my own cost.

5. Breach of contract
                      The Defendant accepted return delivery of the car on 19 February 2024.

I contacted the Defendant on 27 February 2024 to chase the progress of the repair and request a return date for the car. The Defendant said it would take 4 weeks to repair the vehicle.

On 29 February 2024, the Defendant asked for 50% of the repair bill to be paid up-front by the Claimant, which breaches the contract. I have refused to pay for the repairs, as this was not agreed initially.

6. Attempts to Resolve the Dispute
                      I contacted the Defendant numerous times to resolve the dispute but the Defendant, to date, has failed to repair the car and return it within a reasonable timeframe. This has caused me significant inconvenience as I was left without a vehicle to date. I have since had to purchase another vehicle as the Defendant has failed to repair or replace the car.
                      A number of offers were made by the Defendant, all of which were unsatisfactory and would leave me out-of-pocket and with a car which was not as described in the original advert.

7. Loss Suffered
                      Due to the Defendant's breach of contract, I have suffered the following losses:
                      6 weeks without a car due to ongoing dispute
                      The cost of a replacement car: £9,xxx

8. Relief sought

I claim the following from the Defendant:

Original purchase price: £6,xxx
                      Deduction for fair usage (3,038 miles): -£7xx.00
                      Diagnosis costs from independent garage: £3xx.00
                      Transportation costs of the vehicle back to the Defendant: £4xx.00
                      Total: £6,xxx

Interest at the statutory rate on the total sum from the date of the claim to the date of judgement.

9. Conclusion

The Defendant failed to honour their agreement to repair the car within a reasonable timeframe, causing me significant inconvenience and financial loss. I am therefore entitled to the remedies set out in Section 8.

10. Statement of Truth

I believe that the facts stated in this claim are true.

Date: 24 April 2024.

<NAME>

Comment

My thoughts and advice:

Call yourself "the Claimant" instead of "I"

Combine "The facts" and "Negotiations and agreement" and "Attempts to resolve the dispute" under a heading "What happened" in chronological order

"Shortly" is not 5 months

Say the car developed a fault not I identified a fault

"3 The Consumer Rights Act 2015" is not necessary, It should be included under Breach of Contract

Take out heading "4 Negotiations and Agreement"

"Breach of Contract" requires more detail Refer to clauses in CRA about unsatisfactory goods, not fit for purpose, final right to reject - defendant has taken an unreasonable amount of time and has not repaired it, caused you significant inconvenience. State what the dealer did and how you were affected under each CRA clause

Omit 7 Loss Suffered completely. You are not claiming for a new car. The Claimant was without a car for 6 weeks should appear under Breach of Contract (significant inconvenience)

Change "Relief Sought" to "Amount Claimed" Write a £ - p column. State refund of purchase price, deduct fair usage, sub-total, add diagnosis costs, transportation costs, sub-total, calculate interest at 8% pa, number of days (from when you paid until claim submission date) divided by 365, and add the calculated interest to give a claim total

Delete 9 Conclusion completely

Number individual paragraphs consecutively The Statement of Truth should be signed

Don't worry about your witness statement and evidence. They are required later in the process

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X