• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Returns Policy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returns Policy

Hi all
    Need help with an issue over a Christmas present I received off my stepdaughter
    she spent £270 on a pair of biker boots from a Triumph dealer back in September 2023, she obviously spent to much (in my opinion) as she is on PIPS benefits but that is something I need to talk to her about.
    Now I didn't know until Christmas day when I opened the present, I tried them on and they didn't fit, my wife tried them on and they were a snug fit for her, the boots are size 10. I take a size 9 in shoes but always get a 10 for boots, my wife takes a size 8.
    My stepdaughter emailed the company to ask for a refund but because of the length of time past they are refusing, we haven't mentioned that they are not the right size that's stamped on the boots and therefore not fit for purpose but I know they will not do a refund because of the limited time to return under N.F.F.P..
    I'm happy to exchange them for a larger size if need be but I'm not sure if they are even obligated to do this.
    Is there anything I'm missing here or do we have to accept that we're stuck with the boots?
    Tags: None

You could try having a conversation with the retailer and explaining the actual problem. They may be willing to exchange for a better fit.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

How did your stepdaughter pay for them? Credit Card ? Debit Card?

Comment

If a mans size 10 boot is a snug. fit for a lady who normally wears a size 8 shoe, the boots have to be incorrectly sized.
        The standard length of a mans foot for a size 10 shoe is 279mm. If the problem with the boot is the length your daughter should let the supplier know this and explain the boots were bought as a christmas present Unfortunately different manufacturers produce different width boots and designate them standard width.
        If the problem is the width of the boot and the supplier still refuses to replace them you could take them to a cobbler and ask if they can be stretched or sell them on ebay making sure you describe them as "a snug fit for size 8 ladies shoe"

Comment

If you can establish that the boots are not a size 10 then the seller may be guilty of misrepresentation and as you have recently discovered this your daughter would have the legal right to make a claim against the seller.
          In my last post I should have said boots can only be stretched if they are made from genuine leather.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
            How did your stepdaughter pay for them? Credit Card ? Debit Card?
            paid by debit card

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
              If you can establish that the boots are not a size 10 then the seller may be guilty of misrepresentation and as you have recently discovered this your daughter would have the legal right to make a claim against the seller.
              In my last post I should have said boots can only be stretched if they are made from genuine leather.
              The label on the inside of the boots says US 10 and EUR 44.5 which are two different sizes

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
                If a mans size 10 boot is a snug. fit for a lady who normally wears a size 8 shoe, the boots have to be incorrectly sized.
                The standard length of a mans foot for a size 10 shoe is 279mm. If the problem with the boot is the length your daughter should let the supplier know this and explain the boots were bought as a christmas present Unfortunately different manufacturers produce different width boots and designate them standard width.
                If the problem is the width of the boot and the supplier still refuses to replace them you could take them to a cobbler and ask if they can be stretched or sell them on ebay making sure you describe them as "a snug fit for size 8 ladies shoe"
                I measured the iside of the boots and they are 270mm which is 8 I think.
                they are quality made boots by Alpinestar so I would have thought they would have been correctly sized
                Last edited by swifty; 3rd January 2024, 18:28:PM.

Comment

If 230mm is correct the boots are definitely not size 10. Are you able to measure the boots on the outside with a tape measure alongside and take a photo?
                  This would be your evidence that the boots are not size 10 and not as advertised.
                  As your stepdaughter paid by debit card she has 120 days from the date payment was made to raise a chargeback claim with her bank. She will need to show the bank that the boots were mis-sold (not the correct size ordered -the size on the box and on the boots is incorrect), the boots have not been worn and they can be repackaged in the original box and the seller has refused a refund. She should also state that as the boots were a christmas present it was only recently discovered that the boots are not a size 10.

Comment

Originally posted by swifty View Post

paid by debit card
                    Don't delay, do it now online or via email, Chargebacks are time sensitive. Hopefully there is time. As the 'product wasn't as described' there will be no issues getting a refund.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...k-abZ2d4z3nT8q

Update with the bank / retailer response.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

Don't delay, do it now online or via email, Chargebacks are time sensitive. Hopefully there is time. As the 'product wasn't as described' there will be no issues getting a refund.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...k-abZ2d4z3nT8q

Update with the bank / retailer response.
                      she's going to the bank after we get a reply back from Triumph or before the 20th whichever comes first, I emailed them today giving them the details of the sizes shown in the boots and on the box which contradict each other (US10, EUR 44.5 and JPN 29) and telling them that we will deal with only them as they are our POS

Comment

Originally posted by swifty View Post

she's going to the bank after we get a reply back from Triumph or before the 20th whichever comes first, I emailed them today giving them the details of the sizes shown in the boots and on the box which contradict each other (US10, EUR 44.5 and JPN 29) and telling them that we will deal with only them as they are our POS
                        Don't leave it until the 20th January.

From and including: Wednesday, 20 September 2023
                        To, but not including Saturday, 20 January 2024
                        Result: 122 days

It is 122 days from the start date to the end date, but not including the end date.

I would lodge the Chargeback claim now, you only have 120 days. If the bank contact you about it, just tell them 'that you are still communicating with Triumph', they will say 'get back to us if it isn't resolved'.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X