• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice please for Broken Tooth from Prune stone in 'pitted' punes purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please for Broken Tooth from Prune stone in 'pitted' punes purchase

Hi, My wife bought some 'Pitted' prunes in a High Street supermarket and merrily ate some, one of which had a full stone in and broke two of her teeth.

The bag they were in had in big letters across the front " DRIED PRUNES" and in slightly smaller, but still large lettering " Pitted and Ready to Eat" so on the face of that package she was content in buying them as she did not wish to have stones in them.

On the back in the small print along with the ingredients, alergy advice and nutritian, but in much smaller writing came the word 'WARNING' - (in bold type): then in non bold lowercase type"Although every effort has been made to remove stones, some small stones or fragments may remain"

My wife went to the dentist to have these teeth fixed and came away with a bill of £348.00 for the repair.

My question now is how best to approach this to get this bill repaid by the store as in my mind if there was the remotest possibility that the store felt there may be a stone or part of a stone in even one of them then that should be stated as prominently on the front of the bag alongside the sales pitch that they were 'Pitted and ready to eat' because they were cleary not.

I therefore feel this is a responsibility of the store and that the warning on the back in smaller print a less important statement than the sales pitch on the front.
    We should certainly not now be faced with this kind of bill as a result.

Do we write to the store ourselves initially to make a claim, if so how, or do we go to a solicitor to do this? We have the evidence of the package, the stone, the broken teeth, the invoice.

If we do this ourselves, how would this be approached as I'm sure they have a depth of lawyers at their disposal to fight claims like this off and I'm not as young as I used to be for a fight (over 70 now!) and my wife cannot do this herself. I fought one once before, but that was a long while ago.

Has anyone any experience in this and could point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks

Andrew1
    Seek your own legal advice, I am not trained in legal matters, just give my opinion from my own personal experience.

I am an original Cabot Fan Club member and proud of it.
    Tags: None

Hi,

It would be a personally injury claim and wouldn't generally recommend you handle these types of claims yourself where the value being claimed is over £1,000 as there are protocols and other things that you need to adhere to or risk losing out. You may want to speak to some no win no fee solicitors or if you have legal expenses insurance you may want look at that as you could be covered.

There's a link below to an article where a law firm sued Aldi and obtained £3,000 compensation due to a stone in his cereal, not too dissimilar to your issue here.

https://celsolicitors.co.uk/3000-com...urgery-cereal/
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

That's great, thank you. I'll keep the thread posted so others know what happens.
      Seek your own legal advice, I am not trained in legal matters, just give my opinion from my own personal experience.

Comment

It may be prunedent, sorry, prudent (I'll get my coat...) to retain the packaging, the stone that damaged the tooth, and the other prunes also containing stones as evidence if it's not too late to do so?

Comment

Thanks TheBerenger, I have done that and forwarded to the solicitors photographs of all the evidence detail. The damage, the packaging, the invoice for the repairs to the teeth and I have kept all the hard evidence just in case it's needed. I'm just waiting for the appraisal by the legal team and we'll see what they come back with. The devil is always in the detail so I keep everything. Thanks for the nod...I'll keep the progress posted up on the thread as it comes.

Cheers

Comment

Well, I have just had a conversation with solicitors and I am not entirey impressed with the way they have handled this. I won't go into detail as in doing so, knowing these solicitors troll forums, it might jeopardize my case as it progresses, but I will keep the thread updated as things go forward. Thanks for your guidance and recommendation thus far though.

Thanks
            A1

Comment

"Although every effort has been made to remove stones, some small stones or fragments may remain"

The small print will most likely be the tripping point.

Prunes have stones
              Fish has bones
              ETC.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X