• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mechanic didn't fix fault can I make small claim?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanic didn't fix fault can I make small claim?

My car has left me stranded twice in a week due to non-starting away from home. I booked it in to a small garage this morning.

The mechanic rang later in the morning and said he had started it, driven it and couldn't find anything wrong with it except wires to the fuel pressure solenoid rubbing against a pipe. I had mentioned to him that the OBD2 had registered an error with this solenoid the first time it broke down but I cleared it and it had not returned.

The garage rang hour later and said the car is ready and it'll be £150 please, he's reattached a connector to the fuel pressure solenoid. Very disappointing for a £5 connector easily accessible in the engine bay. I was suspicious so when I fetched the car I asked if it was guaranteed and he said he's confident he fixed it because the solenoid wires "Came off in his hand". I drove it away and half an hour later I was stranded again with the same problem. The recovery truck mechanic started it with a jump starter and tested the battery as okay so diagnosed an alternator fault which makes sense because the battery is run down as I drive but not being charged by the alternator therefore I get stranded away from home.

The garage's explanation of work done from the receipt:

carry out diagnostic
    Diagnose and rectify intermittent non start
    carried out diagnostic for expected fuel pressure related faults, no faults found suspect cleared.
    carry out extended road test no fault found. Investigated potential low pressure fuel pump fault, no low pressure fuel pump fitted to this model.
    Investigate under bonnet found wiring error to fuel pressure control solenoid carry out repair with new connectors.

Diagnostic 1 x £40
    Investigate and rectify 1.5 x 55 = £82.50

So, I am £150 down with the same problem and asked the garage for a partial refund which he refused. I do not want to take the car back to that particular garage, which has a bad reputation, because I don't want to be ripped off any more than I have already. Can I claim a chargeback or make small claim for services not received?
    Tags: None

IMO not worth making a court claim for £150. The amount of work you would have to do, payment upfront for court fees, no certainty of winning your claim and if you win a chance the garage refuses to pay you.
    I would leave poor reviews for the garage on websites

Comment

Why not try a chargeback if you paid by debit card, or a sec 75 claim if paid by credit card?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X