• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Kia used car dispute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kia used car dispute

Hi,

This isn’t my first post but it has been a while and lost the original login details!

I bought a Kia Sportage in June 2022 with 23k mileage and within the Kia Warranty period of 7 years (2017 plate).

For reference throughout this post, The Vehicle was purchased from Taunton Dealership (I am in bournemouth and used a local KIA dealership to inspect/review problems with the car.).

On July 11th I had the car inspected by my Kia Local Dealership to review two issues;
    1. Clutch issues
    2. Whinging noise on drivers side
    The first problem with the clutch was closed as being investigated but no fault found and a load of rubbish about my driving style and it being the AWD.

Second problem, they replaced the timing belt, this wasn’t done under warranty however the purchase dealership were contacted by me and they agreed to pay charges.

I was very annoyed at the first problem, and really should had gone to my original purchase dealership but assumed Kia Brand covered enough eventualities to ascertain that KIA were confident nothing was wrong with the vehicles clutch.

The problem has worsened from original issue levels and last week I had Kia review the same problems.

Problem 1 - They informed me after a test drive that the vehicles clutch needed to be replaced the cost of £1100.

Problem 2 - They have confirmed they will need to strip the car down to inspect (Under warranty).

Problem 2 is hopefully set to be resolved long term, but Problem 1 is where my challenges and advice I need is here and this is the most recent events that can't be resolved speaking to three parties (KIA, Kia Taunton and Kia Bournemouth)
    • Kia Bournemouth have told me clutch was not part of KIA’s standard warranty but within 2 years or 16k miles on the car.
    • I phoned the original dealership to raise the history of resolving the clutch issue to be told they would do nothing as it was out of warranty.
    • I escalated this as a complaint to Kia.
    • After 3 days Kia have just confirmed the last gesture of good will is 30% towards the original quoted price of £1100 for new clutch replacement.

I phoned Consumer Advice Bureau, they told me to go through ADR if this gets to the end of the process of either KIA or the Dealership not providing me the opportunity to resolve this issue without cost. I would need to provide burden of proof the vehicle was like this when I bought it, which I would say I can do by the Inspection performed in July 2022 to a Kia Dealership?

Overall where will I stand here in regards to reporting the fault after initially buying the vehicle BUT not to the original dealership?

Can they honestly get away with me reporting an issue, after telling me it doesn’t exist and then now telling me that the problem has manifested enough to involve large sums of repair?

Does the other issues with this car also demonstrate something just isn’t right about this vehicle? KIA are still working through this problem, should I provide details about this in my Ombudsman letter?

Tags: None

Kia's 7 year warranty only covers maintenance items such as the clutch for 2 years or 12500 miles.
    However Kia's 7 year warranty may apply if you can show the fault with the clutch is not down to wear and tear.
    You reported the problem with the clutch in July 2022 within 30 days of delivery.
    Kia Bournemouth inspected the car and claim there was nothing wrong with the clutch.
    At the time you did not dispute their findings and continued to drive the car with the same clutch for over a year.
    Kia now say the clutch needs replacing and want to charge you £1100 less 30%

As your car is nearing the end of the 7 year warranty you could get the clutch replaced by an independent garage provided their quote is less than £770
    You could ask this garage to inspect the old clutch and report on the fault. You should inform the garage about the problem with the clutch that surfaced soon after you bought the car when it had only done 23k miles.
    If the garage says the fault was unlikely to have been caused by wear and tear and would have been present when you bought the car, write to Kia with a copy of the garage report.
    If Kia still refuse to pay you could start a court claim

Comment

For "wear and tear" please read "fair wear and tear"

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
        For "wear and tear" please read "fair wear and tear"
        It's not about me using the car, its about it being faulty when I bought it and where I stand with substantial evidence i tried to rectify the problem with KIA.

Regards

Daniel

Comment

So what is your substantial evidence you would produce in court?

Comment

Originally posted by fourstar View Post
            Hi,

... I bought a Kia Sportage in June 2022 with 23k mileage and within the Kia Warranty period of 7 years (2017 plate)...

... On July 11th I had the car inspected by my Kia Local Dealership to review two issues;...

Apologies if I've missed it, but was the inspection by the Kia dealership in July 2022 or July 2023?

Comment

July 2022
              Last sentence of the 4th from last paragraph

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
                July 2022
                Last sentence of the 4th from last paragraph
                Yes it was looked at 30 days after I bought it by KIA.

I've not decided after a year the clutch is faulty! I asked KIA they told me it wasn't and then 12 months later the issues worsened and it now needs to apparently be replaced.

Comment

Also to add to problems, the original Franchise (Marsh) has now changed to a different Franchise.

Comment

Please read honestjohn.co.uk "Is clutch failure covered by the Consumer Rights Act"
                    Clutch failures are a grey area.
                    ​​​​​​​You will need an independent garage report that the clutch problem was caused by a manufacturing fault.

Comment

Just because a garage changes franchise doesn't necessarily mean the dealer has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by fourstar View Post
                        Also to add to problems, the original Franchise (Marsh) has now changed to a different Franchise.
                        It isn't a manufacturing issues, it is about being sold a faulty car.....I reported it was knackered when I bought it at a KIA garage but got told by KIA on an inspection nothing was wrong.

Comment

The car should not have been worn out having done only 23k miles. Is there a chance the mileage was clocked? Your claim will be much stronger if it was.
                          Check the service record.

Comment

The car had about half the average mileage when you purchased it. It should have been in good condition. Did you pay above the average price at the time?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X