• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bought a faulty car on finance.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a faulty car on finance.

Such a long story...
    Bought a car on the 17th of Jan 23. The day after it went back into the garage it needed a new exhaust. I noticed the smell of fumes and the car was losing power in eco mode. The back lights were out of line too.
    So, we rang the dealer to let them know, Ohh by the way the car has been issued a recall. Told I would have to sort it myself through BMW. A few days after the drivetrain symbol came on. More problems appeared, shuddering around corners, the seatbelt doesn't retract on the passenger side, brown stains on the ceiling and near the driver's seatbelt- I joked and said it looks like blood splatters.
    4 months later the car went in for the recall- Drivetrain is on because of a separate issue, clutch at stage 3, leaking gearbox. Notified the dealer who said it is in warranty. I did in fact pay for expended warranty on the day of purchase. They said it is not their fault if I am not happy to go through the finance company.
    I rang the citizens advice and made a complaint to both parties. The finance company said they will look into it for me and look into getting the car rejected if i can prove the damage was there before I bought the car. 6 weeks down the line an inspector came out to look at the car.
    This is what he found:
    Front and back bumper, driver's side door and wing mirror been replaced and sprayed to a poor standard. (Noticed the parcel shelf has been replaced too).
    Handbrake not effective (I have to put the car in gear when parked on my drive because it jumps forward.)
    clutch stage 3
    leaking gearbox
    seals gone on driver's side window.
    smell of fumes within car
    knocking metal noise on the front- suspected this was down to the timing chain.
    seatbelt doesn't retract- should not have passed MOT
    smoke coming out from under the bonnet.
    Advised not to drive, engine could blow, the mileage stated does not reflect the condition of the car. Must return to dealer, the repairs are greater than the vehicle and this vehicle would not be economical to repair. All this is in the report that I obtained.
    Off the record he told me this car has been in an accident, the MOT isn't worth the paper it was written on, and I have an expensive garden ornament.

I thought finally the proof I need; this will be the end of it.

The finance company said the dealership are not compliant or replying to them. I need to give them an opportunity to repair- I asked which part, let me ring you back.
    A week later- I thought you said the car went in for repair a day after purchase- I said check your email I sent you proof 6 weeks ago- let me speak to my manager and ring you back.
    Received an email the same day to say my case handler was on holiday for 2 weeks.
    I rang up the finance company and spoke to a different member of staff and asked for the car inspection to been emailed over.
    3 days later- case handler rings me back- My manager said you have to let them repair it- I asked him if he had read the report and relayed information from it, he said do you have a copy of the report, who sent it to you? I told him I did, and he said let me ring you back.
    So, today after another week of waiting the dealership want to look at the car, they don't believe the inspection and they have a right to look at it or I will not help you any further. 12 weeks of this and I have gotten no were.

At this present moment I want to go to small claims,

Does anyone think I have a strong case?
    Do I take both parties to court?
    Do I claim back the value of the car or just the amount of paid?
    what can I claim back, at this present moment I am using buses and taxis.

Any advice or information would be great- I am literally at my breaking point.

Tags: None

Well if it was mine, I wouldn't faff around any more.
    There would be recorded letters going to both dealer and finance house telling them that I was rejecting the vehicle and require a return of what I had paid (deposit and instalments )
    The vehicle is available for their collection at their cost.
    If no satisfactory response received within 14 days of date of letter I would initiate a county court claim without further reference

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X