• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wren - CDA - Integrated Fridge Freezer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wren - CDA - Integrated Fridge Freezer

Hello

I am writing for legal advice relating to a faulty fridge and what options I have available.

3 years ago I purchased a new kitchen from Wren on an interest free finance arrangement. Our integrated fridge has recently frosted up and then stopped working. I spoke with CDA and because I am out of my warranty they said they could send out an engineer for £100. I was reluctant to pay £100 for an engineer to tell me that it’s beyond repair, which was reflective of the recent reviews on TrustPilot. I told CDA that I would arrange my own engineer, they said I would void my warranty, which it was already out of.

I asked a local engineer to visit and he said based on the sound the unit was making there was a refrigerant leak. He said it was unrepairable. I posed this to Wren who offered me 15% discount on a new model. I then spoke to CDA again and they agreed to send an engineer out at a cost of £125, again I wasn’t willing to pay £125 for an engineer to tell me it can’t be repaired. CDA stated that if an engineer can’t repair the fridge they would offer a discounted replacement, which would essentially be negligible based on the £125 engineer cost.

I was told that because the fridge is less than three years we may have a case based on the Consumer Rights Act 2015. So I wrote an email to Wren and had the following reply:

Friday 25th August 2023

Customer Service Department
    Wren Kitchens
    The Nest
    Falkland Way
    Barton-upon-Humber
    DN18 5RL

Subject: Faulty Integrated Fridge Freezer - Request for Resolution Under Consumer Rights Act 2015

ORDER NUMBER:
    ACCOUNT NUMBER:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to express my disappointment and concern regarding the integrated fridge freezer that I ordered from Wren Kitchens on 30th August 2020 which was then delivered on 9th November 2020. The fridge freezer has recently experienced a significant malfunction that has left it inoperable, and I am seeking a resolution in accordance with my rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

The appliance in question is a CDA integrated fridge freezer, model number: FW872/3 and serial number: 11970410020350. Despite its relatively short lifespan, I have encountered a critical issue with the appliance's functionality. The integrated fridge freezer initially began to frost excessively before subsequently losing its cooling capabilities. Despite my attempts to troubleshoot the problem using the manual, the temperature inside the unit continued to rise, rendering it incapable of adequately refrigerating or freezing.

Seeking a professional opinion, I spoke with CDA and they stated that as it was out of its warranty they would be able to send an engineer out at a cost of £100. I arranged for an alternative engineer to assess the issue. The engineer said that based on the sound of the unit, it is highly likely that there is a refrigerant leak within the unit. Regrettably, the conclusion was that the appliance is beyond economical repair.

In light of the situation, I contacted Wren Kitchens' customer service department, where I was offered a replacement fridge freezer at a discounted rate of 15%. While I appreciate the offer, I believe that a malfunction of this magnitude occurring within just under three years of purchase raises concerns about the appliance's quality and durability.

Furthermore, I reached out to the manufacturer once again, in hopes of obtaining a resolution to the issue. I was informed that an engineer visit could be arranged; however, this would come at a cost of £125, which is only two weeks after an original call and the cost has increased significantly. Given our unwillingness to invest in an engineer visit with no guaranteed resolution, this option does not seem viable.

Having investigated the issue further I have found a number of complaints on Trustpilot with very similar issues regarding this manufacturer, a similar model and Wren is specifically mentioned. This raises serious concerns about the quality and reliability of the product. As you can imagine paying a significant amount of money for an engineer to visit and then likely being told that the issue is beyond repair is not a satisfactory resolution.

Considering the aforementioned circumstances, I kindly request that Wren Kitchens address this matter in a more satisfactory manner. I believe that the Consumer Rights Act 2015 affords us the right to expect products to be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose, and durable. Given the fridge freezer's premature malfunction and the recurring nature of these issues, I trust that Wren Kitchens will take these consumer rights seriously and work towards an amicable resolution.

I kindly request a prompt response outlining your proposed course of action to address this matter.

Thank you for your attention to this issue. I look forward to your prompt response.

Sincerely,

Wren Reply

Dear xxxxxx,

I hope you are well. I have tried to contact you today with regards to your email, however I have been unable to reach you. I apologise for calling at an inconvenient time.

I wanted to let you know that the warranty on your appliance has expired, so we are not able to replace the items under the terms of your warranty.

Having said that, I am happy to offer you to purchase the replacement items with a discounted of 20%. If you would like me to set you up a quote please let me know and I will arrange a call to take payment.

Kindest Regards,
    S
    Wren Kitchens

could someone advice how to move forward?
    Tags: None

Hi,

Since you have had the fridge freezer for 3 years the onus would be on you to show that the fault was not through reasonable wear and tear. This would likely mean that you will need to pay someone to carry out a check and produce a report as to the fault and whether the fault was due to reasonable wear and tear or something else.

They other key question that would need addressing is whether the fault would have expected to have occurred at this point in its life. I recently had mine replaced and I was told that the average life expectancy of a fridge freezer should be 10 years or more. Of course, that life expectancy will also probably be tied to the cost of the fridge freezer - paying £100 for a cheap and cheerful version would suggest cheaper parts and materials and therefore life expectancy might be reduced.

Depending on your appetite, there’s a couple of ways you could approach this.

1. Write back to Wren, explaining that although the fridge freezer might be out of warranty, that does not override your rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. You could use my example of the 10 year average life expectancy and then argue that you would expect to have had a material failure that’s unrepairable. Since it has only lasted 3 years, you would want a discount reflective of the remaining average life expectancy e.g. 70% off your next fridge freezer based on the same make/model. If you are wanting a different model, then the 20% discount offered already may be reasonable but you could try and haggle for more - anywhere close to 50% would be considered a good result if I was in your shoes.

2. Similar to the above option but here you would be making it clear that unless they give you a replacement model free of charge, you would be looking to commission a report on the fridge freezer and if it turns out the that there was a fault which shouldn’t have happened at this early stage of its life, then you will be looking to start legal proceedings, for the cost of a replacement model plus the other costs incurred for the report.

Option 2 is more risky because there is no guarantee that Wren will capitulate and agree to your demands. You should also be mindful of the fact that you are talking to a low level customer service rep who has probably got limited options available to them until you start to escalate this. Depending on the value you are claiming, most companies would rather pay you off than having to spend more costs on legal resources to defend a claim but there are some companies who will choose to defend on principle and see it through to the end.

There may be other options but I think what I’ve suggested is a good starting point to think about.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      Hi,

Since you have had the fridge freezer for 3 years the onus would be on you to show that the fault was not through reasonable wear and tear. This would likely mean that you will need to pay someone to carry out a check and produce a report as to the fault and whether the fault was due to reasonable wear and tear or something else.

They other key question that would need addressing is whether the fault would have expected to have occurred at this point in its life. I recently had mine replaced and I was told that the average life expectancy of a fridge freezer should be 10 years or more. Of course, that life expectancy will also probably be tied to the cost of the fridge freezer - paying £100 for a cheap and cheerful version would suggest cheaper parts and materials and therefore life expectancy might be reduced.

Depending on your appetite, there’s a couple of ways you could approach this.

1. Write back to Wren, explaining that although the fridge freezer might be out of warranty, that does not override your rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. You could use my example of the 10 year average life expectancy and then argue that you would expect to have had a material failure that’s unrepairable. Since it has only lasted 3 years, you would want a discount reflective of the remaining average life expectancy e.g. 70% off your next fridge freezer based on the same make/model. If you are wanting a different model, then the 20% discount offered already may be reasonable but you could try and haggle for more - anywhere close to 50% would be considered a good result if I was in your shoes.

2. Similar to the above option but here you would be making it clear that unless they give you a replacement model free of charge, you would be looking to commission a report on the fridge freezer and if it turns out the that there was a fault which shouldn’t have happened at this early stage of its life, then you will be looking to start legal proceedings, for the cost of a replacement model plus the other costs incurred for the report.

Option 2 is more risky because there is no guarantee that Wren will capitulate and agree to your demands. You should also be mindful of the fact that you are talking to a low level customer service rep who has probably got limited options available to them until you start to escalate this. Depending on the value you are claiming, most companies would rather pay you off than having to spend more costs on legal resources to defend a claim but there are some companies who will choose to defend on principle and see it through to the end.

There may be other options but I think what I’ve suggested is a good starting point to think about.
      Thank you for your advice. I have sent a reply to Wren and will update once they have replied. I have went with option 1.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X