• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Consumer Rights Act Faulty secondhand car (new purchase)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consumer Rights Act Faulty secondhand car (new purchase)

Hi all,

I’m hoping for some advice re my recent purchase of a second hand car.

I bought the car in Cornwall at the end of June 2023. I live in London but it looked like a good example it of what I was looking for (2017 Skoda Octavia Diesel) it has 110k miles on but has full service history and described as ‘immaculate’.

Being sold by a sole trader dealer. I went to Cornwall and did my best to do a thorough inspection of the car and despite there being no spare wheel, it seemed as described and all documentation and receipts were present.

The vendor was giving a 6 month or 3000 mile warranty with the car, although stipulated that this must be at his local garage. I disputed this and he said ‘it’s not my fault where you live’. Alarm bells were ringing but I said we would at least have to split the cost of recovery should something go wrong and that would suck up any savings he was making at his garage. It was left vague unfortunately with him saying we will cross that bridge if we come to it.

A month later I was on holiday in (ironically) Cornwall and the car broke down. There was engine management light and smoke and it was quite frightening with my partner and infant son in the car. We were in Penzance which is a good hour and a half from St Austell and the dealer’s local garage.

I contacted him at every stage explaining the situation. I had two AA call-outs and a desperate scramble to find a garage that could do the job on a Friday (an injector had failed along with all four injector seals - and expensive repair).

I informed the vendor before the work was done that the car was not drivable and recovery impractical and he agreed I could get the work done and, as I understood it, he would pay the parts and we would come to an agreement on labour as he gets that cheap at his local garage.

Anyway, got the injector done and two of the seals and the mechanic said it looked like the other seals had been gone for some time. I paid £570 for the job (£400 for the part). He advised the other seals needed doing asap but he had run out of time and did not work weekends.

I immediately informed the vendor and said most of the money in the part as you can see so please pay that and 1.5 hrs of your mechanic labour + vat.

Heard nothing for a few days until he comes back and says he could have got the part for £80 off eBay. I dispute this as OEM injectors (which I would have insisted on) are not less than £400 anywhere.

I have put all of this in an email and am keeping screenshots of the extensive WhatsApp thread but he is essentially saying he won’t pay more than £300. I am still needing to get the other seals done which will add to the price so this is not acceptable.

I envisage the final bill being about £850 and want him to pay it although I have made a concession on labour (which he says he can get for £20/hr).

I’m sorry this is long but I would like to know if I can use the consumer rights act to get a refund for the car as it is less than 6 months and it may well have had the fault (with the seals) when I bought it.

Is he culpable and do I have a leg to stand on? Even though he keeps saying that I don’t as I did not bring it to his garage as per the terms of his warranty?

Any help/advice much appreciated!
    Tags: None

Duplicate post

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X