• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gym contract liability release?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gym contract liability release?

Greetings. I'm not sure whether this question should be on this board, so let me know if I've gone astray. Here's my question. The gym I was planning to join until I read the contract has an onerous disclaimer of liability. The relevant paragraph reads:

"In consideration of being allowed to participate in the fitness activities and weight-loss programs of Gym and to use its facilities, equipment, machinery, and mats, subject only to the statutory rights and implied warranties which cannot be excluded, I do hereby waive, release and forever discharge Gym and their officers, affiliates, subsidiaries, agents, employees, representatives, executors and all others from any and all responsibilities or liabilities from injuries or damages arising out of or connected with my attendance and/or participation at Gym, including my participation in all fitness and weight-loss activities, my use of equipment and/or machinery, passive, or active, any omission or commission, including any liability arising the from [typo in original] negligence of a Gym representative."

[The next paragraph goes on to make gym members liable for exactly the things for which the first paragraph makes the gym not liable, but that’s a discussion for a different day.]

It seems grossly unfair to me that the gym disclaims liability for its own negligence, but my question is whether this would hold up in a lawsuit if I were injured due to the gym's negligence. There are some weasel words ("subject only to the statutory rights and implied warranties which cannot be excluded") that make me think they know they're reaching for the stars. What is the reality? What does statutory rights and implied warranties mean? Also, as a topic for general discussion, what as a society can we do to limit this kind of anti-consumer overreach? NB: I live in California. Thanks much. --Dan
    Tags: None

DJLagain

This is a gym in California and you live in California? Sorry, but I think you are on the wrong website. This a UK forum dealing only with UK legal issues so I doubt anyone here will be able to help you.

​​​​​​​There is a USA website with a similar name but it has no connection with this UK forum.

Is this US site the one you were searching for? https://legalbeagle.com/
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Oops, sorry. Thanks for letting me know.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X