• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can I sue for losses after driving hundreds of miles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I sue for losses after driving hundreds of miles?

We drove 10 hours round trip and spent nearly $200 on gas to travel from Ohio to Kentucky to purchase a piece of antique furniture an individual seller advertised on Facebook Marketplace. We maintained communication for over a week, and I confirmed the day before our planned meeting that we were still on for the transaction. I had offered to pay via Venmo or Zelle prior to collection but the seller told me he preferred cash and would hold the item for me regardless. I told the seller I would message him when we were 30 minutes away. On the day of the scheduled transaction, I messaged the seller after driving ~3.5 hours and received no response. I messaged again when 30 and 15 minutes away and, again, received no response. On arrival, seller was not waiting and didn't show up after an additional 30 minutes. I googled his name and found his home address, then drove directly to his home. He came to the door and confirmed when asked that he was the party in question. I then told him we were there to pick up the item. He looked like a deer in the headlights and confessed that he had sold it the day before. At this point, I said "we've just driven 5 hours to pick it up and I confirmed with you yesterday." He said, "I know. I'm sorry. My wife sold it to her friend." I said, "You couldn't be bothered to notify me and save me a 10 hour trip?" He said, "My phone's not working." I have all communications with this person documented (all communications were through Facebook Messenger). He agreed to hold the item and confirmed that he would meet me the day prior to our trip, then failed to notify me of any change of plans and intended to simply not show up at the designated meeting location (after we drove 5 hours to get there). Can I sue for damages/breach of contract based upon our documented agreement and his failure to comply (and just be a decent human being)? This cost me an entire day, a couple hundred dollars in gas, and great frustration.
    Tags: None

Sorry, this is a UK law forum.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X