• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Goods a sales act

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goods a sales act

I read a long time ago that the goods of sales act states that an item must last of a reasonble time of that of 7 years. Though I can not find refeance hear on the net!
    Any help with this one please?
    Tags: None

https://advice.consumercouncil.org.u...n-buying-goods

Comment

Both the sale of goods Act 1979 (sec 14) and Consumer Rights Act 2015 (sec 9) list "durability" as an example of an aspect of quality to be considered if goods are of "satisfactory quality".
      Nowhere is a time limit indicated as the period one could expect an item to last will vary from item to item
      e.g. fresh food goods will deteriorate rapidly, a cheap toaster within a few months but a car will last for 50 years plus (from personal experience)

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
        Both the sale of goods Act 1979 (sec 14) and Consumer Rights Act 2015 (sec 9) list "durability" as an example of an aspect of quality to be considered if goods are of "satisfactory quality".
        Nowhere is a time limit indicated as the period one could expect an item to last will vary from item to item
        e.g. fresh food goods will deteriorate rapidly, a cheap toaster within a few months but a car will last for 50 years plus (from personal experience)
        He's been driving it since the year 56BC, was hoping to appear on Top Gear only to find it's been cancelled.

Comment

For the technically minded it is similar to the Canopysauras model, but is no longer foot propelled!

Comment

I thought you had an Austin Baby 8

Comment

For the technically minded it is similar to the Canopysauras model, but is no longer foot propelled!
              Yep and you have to push it and stick your leg out to break.

Comment

thanks! But I cant find anything in there about the 7 years

Comment

I'm sure I read somewhere "it must last for a reasonable amount of time" being of 7 years

So If I bough a quality power tool and it lasted 18 months but the seller states warenty is only 12 months, then have I had my useage?

Comment

Originally posted by anyman View Post

I'm sure I read somewhere "it must last for a reasonable amount of time" being of 7 years

So If I bough a quality power tool and it lasted 18 months but the seller states warenty is only 12 months, then have I had my useage?
                    This is the important bit 'it must last for a reasonable amount of time'.

The reality of why the '7 years' bit doesn't stack up and and they don't include it in legislation is, you could have the same product, but usage differs from one customer to another.( I'm sure I read 6 years somewhere, but that's more that you could take legal action within that period).

What you need to do is establish if there was an inherent fault with the product when you bought it, that's the reason it has failed after 12 months. Where I would start, is by Googling complaints on the product, see if they 'tally' with your experience.

Also, if you give us background, tell us the story, we may be able to provide more help / solutions.

Comment

In addition to the protection afforded by CRA 2015, you have 6 years to initiate a court claim for faulty goods in the UK (Limitation act 1980), but you would need to prove faulty at time of sale.

Comment

So just to give you some slight info on what was gong on
                        Its a makita 240 mains power, mini Makita angle grinder I bough from Screw fix 18 months ago
                        Makita is a quality brand. I dont use it day in day out like someone in a work shop dose as its just for persanol use and not proffesonal!

In addition to the protection afforded by CRA 2015, you have 6 years to initiate a court claim for faulty goods in the UK (Limitation act 1980), but you would need to prove faulty at time of sale.
                        Again I dont remember much of it, but it might of been 6 years where if within 6 months they have to prove it is faulty and if after then then you have to prove it to them it is faulty

I dont quite understand what you mean by "you have 6 years to initiate a court claim for faulty goods". Dose it mean that if within this time if it has failed I can make a court claim or dose it mean something ells?

thanks

Comment

If you believe the item was unsatisfactory when purchased (i.e. the seller has breached the implied terms of your contract) The Limitation Act allows you to make a court claim for up to 6 years after the date of delivery.

Bear in mind you will have to prove your claim that the item was unsatisfactory at the time of purchase

Comment

If you believe the item was unsatisfactory when purchased (i.e. the seller has breached the implied terms of your contract) The Limitation Act allows you to make a court claim for up to 6 years after the date of delivery.
                            I believe the item was unsatisfactory because it has not lasted a reasonable amount of time. But how and when is that not set, I mean I though I read somewhere about something of this nature should last 6/7 years and that coming from the goods of sales act!

Implied terms? Dose that mean I took the item out as on the assumption of a 1 years warrenty?
                            Last edited by anyman; 21st June 2023, 02:00:AM.

Comment

This is the Act that you keep referring to, have a read, see if you can find it -

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X