• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Warranty RMA for Power Supply

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warranty RMA for Power Supply

Hey everyone, thanks for all the help and advice you guys do!

I bought a computer ASUS ROG THOR 1200W Power Supply Unit 2 years ago for around £360. It came with a 10 year guaranteed warranty and it is extremely expensive for a consumer PSU - Advertising all over the website about how long lasting and premium it is.

After two years, it stopped working and I contacted ASUS and Kikatek (where i bought it) for RMA and they both said it has to go through Kikatek. I sent everything to them, and 2 months later Kikatek write to me saying my RMA was approved (meaning the unit is faulty) and that they will only offer me a 50% refund. Not a replacement or full refund. They claim that 2 years used is significant usage and as per the consumer rights act they only have to provide me with 50% refund.

However, surely if an item comes with a 10 year warranty, you would reasonably expect it to last 15 years - 10 at the minimum. 2 years usage for a PSU is nothing. I have a £100 PSU on my other desktop which I have had since 2016.

I have tried to communicate with the retailer, they said to contact ASUS since they do not abide by terms of warranty even though the RMA went through them. ASUS say that it has to be dealt with by the retailer and not them. The retailer is refusing to offer anything more than 50%.

Am I in the wrong on this one? What can I do about this?

Paying £360 for a PSU was already stupid, but I thought it would future proof me if I wanted to add some extra GPUs and that it would like me 10-15 years easily. Barely 2 years is just ridiculous.

Thank you all!
    Tags: None

Their claim that the Consumer Rights Act 2015 means they only have to provide a 50% refund is their interpretation of
    section 24 (8) which states: "If the consumer exercises the final right to reject, any refund to the consumer may be reduced by a deduction for use, to take account of the use the consumer has had of the goods in the period since they were delivered, ....."

Whilst it may be worth trying to negotiate an increase in their offer, I doubt it would be worth the effort and stress of taking the matter further (i.e. a court claim).

Comment

As presumably you were claiming under the "10 year guaranteed warranty" and not the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (legislation.gov.uk) I'd have thought it was irrelevant what that legislation said.

Did you make it 100% clear you were claiming under the "guaranteed warranty" and not the Consumer Rights Act?

What you are entitled to under the "guaranteed warranty" after two years of use depends upon the terms of the warranty. What do those terms say?

Depending on exactly how expensive this bit of kit was you may or may not want to pursue it further...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X