• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Private Sale of used car new owner suspects blown head gasket and wants to claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Sale of used car new owner suspects blown head gasket and wants to claim

HI,

We sold our classic (P Reg 1996) Japanese Subaru Imprezza STI on January 12th 2023.

The person who bought it was very happy at the time of purchase and drove off. My partner even video'd him driving off as it was the end of an era for him as he'd owned the car for the last 15 years. He was actually sad to see it go but decided to sell it as it wasn't getting the use it deserved and was a 'toy' and not a daily run around.

Since then the buyer has been in touch saying he was happy with car and enjoying it but then today (7th March 2023) he has messaged saying he 'thinks the head gasket has gone' and want us to pay for the repair estimating £3k.

We've been reading up on Consumers act 2015 and as far as we are concerned the vehicle was in great condition (as previously stated my partner owned this vehicle for the last 15 years and it was his pride and joy) and definitely didn't have any issues when sold (plus I've known this vehicle for the last 10 years and it's always ran great without issues).

Has anyone has this issue as a private seller and could offer some advice or guidance please? This car had no issues or tell tell signs that anything was going wrong.

In my mind this man has bought this car (and even told us he was reliving his youth) and has been boosting it and has blown the head gasket himself as he's driving it like a plonker but obviously neither of us can confirm or deny this with any evidence.

Any thoughts and comments either way are gratefully received.

Many thanks

K
    Tags: None

No problems for you or your partner.

This was a private sale (assume you aren't traders!), so as long as there was no misrepresentation by you the problems are all the buyers.
    The principle "caveat emptor" or buyer beware applies.
    You have no liability to pay for the blown gasket

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 only applies to contracts between traders and consumers

Comment

Thanks DES8.

I can confirm that the advert was true to fact so no misrepresentation on our behalf.

And we are definitely not traders so that really helps thank you for your speedy reply. Much appreciated. Kim ☺️

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X