• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Insurance claim issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance claim issues

Hi there, my dads car had a small bump in december, third party agreed 100% fault, hire car arranged by insurance company following the claim and my dads collected by another company for inspection etc.

Issues from the start as collecting company thought car is undriveable still at incident location but was at home with really minor damage (at least minor to the eye). No contact made for weeks so contacted insurer two weeks ago to be told its repairable and will be booked in for bodyshop. Bodyshop phoned to arrange collection of car. We have not seen the car since it was collected. Bodyshop emailed the insurer and is told repair is cancelled and vehicle is written off. We have contacted isurer who confirmed car is written off and I should contact salvage company for valuation. I contacted salvage company and was now told car was sold over a month ago!

My dad feels like this is theft, which I agree with.
    As far as I am aware he should have been told about all of this when car was written off and given option to keep the car aswell? The accident happened at less than 10mph and I believe the write off happened because of their delays which resulted in costs sky rocketting.

We have so far spoken to citizen advice over the phone and was advised to write formal complaint althought I am not sure how to start it!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Was your father's insurance company informed about the accident or did your father deal directly with the third party insurer?

Comment

Thank you for your answer. We filled an online claim form with my dads insurer and dealt only with them.

Comment

Well in that case, other than being unprofessional in ignoring their insured, the insurers have done nothing illegal

They are entitled to deem a damaged vehicle is a write off i.e. it will cost more for them to have it repaired than it is worth.

Most insurers would discuss the matter with their insured first, and come to an agreement over its value (which is what the insured would receive).

If they don't (as has happened to your father) besides any dispute he has about the valuation he could claim for any distress or inconvenience caused by the undisclosed disposal.
        The FOS considers cases like this: https://www.financial-ombudsman.org....ons-write-offs so if the insurers don't make an acceptable offer, use their complaints system and if necessary escalate it to the FOS

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X