• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

windows and doors - question about repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows and doors - question about repair

Hi there all,

I’m hoping someone might be in a position to advise me on this issue (if I’ve got the wrong board then please say so too).

I experienced an issue some windows that I bought 5 years ago. They are not under warranty.

I reported this to the manufacturer. They offered to visit, to conduct a ‘complete service’ on all the windows and sliding doors (5 units in all) at a cost of £300+VAT. This was described in the following way:

"The cost for a complete window & door service would be £300 + VAT... We currently have no projects in the area until January which we could factor in with yours and the cost would remain at £300 + Vat for half a day."

I felt that £360 for a complete service, on the basis described above, was a fair approach, and paid up in advance.

As it turned out, the engineer spent 40 minutes at the property, of which 5 minutes was a discussion as to whether I was reasonable in expecting more than 35 minutes. In that time, he briefly inspected each unit (ie 8 minutes each), and on my insistence changed the rubber seal on one (which was the initial issue), and applied some oil them. He instructed me to undertake full inspection and maintenance of moving parts, cleaning, etc, something I thought would be involved in a complete service.

I took it up with the manufacturer, whose position is that I paid for 185 miles of travel, and that therefore I got my half day. Obviously I had no idea where the engineer was based, or where his onward journey was to, and really don’t see that as something I could have been expected to be aware of.. not least bearing in mind this company supplies the whole of the UK.

Am I reasonable in thinking that selling a 35-minute visit as a half-day, complete service for five sets of windows and doors is challengeable?
    Tags: None

If you do not believe that you got the service for which you paid, then yes.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X