• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bought faulty car - dealership refused to accept return

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought faulty car - dealership refused to accept return

Hi all, could you please see my whole story below and advise me what should I expect/do.

On 25/06/2022 I bought a Volvo v70 D4 for about £7000 from used car dealer. Three days after buying the car, a notification on the dashboard of the vehicle notified me to add 1 Litre of oil (photos attached), after adding 1 litre the notification disappeared until 7 days later when the notification reappeared mentioning the loss of oil again and asks to add 0.5 litre to the engine! Day 13 - same thing again... Message to add 0.5 liter of oil to the engine. I have driven this car about 380 miles so far, and I had to add 2 liters of oil to the engine.

I work for a large retail company who have an in house vehicle maintenance unit and was fortunate enough to have a colleague check the situation who suggested there is most likely a defect in the engine.
    Subsequently, the orange engine management light was on which I'm told is an EGR problem? There is also a Climate control Issue with the right side temperature control nozzle motor apparently.

The vehicle is faulty. I felt very disappointed and under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 I requested for a full refund - I informed seller about it in formal letter in first 30 days after transaction. Next few weeks I spent on "fighting" them on e-mails. They weren't writing back for nearly a month, when they finally did, they refused to accept the return - they didn't even proposed to fix up the car, literally nothing. During this whole, long process of trying to contact them I called them few times and send a few official letters. Also, I did vehicle inspection in independent Volvo garage and send copy of that report to them (screenshoots - https://ibb.co/QQ5YKNW , https://ibb.co/7RS0dvc). Please see few fragments of e-mails from dealership below:

"Please find a response to your recent emails.
    May I start by saying you have a warranty on email now that supports your car.
    This warranty forms part of the sale pack and is in place for support if required.
    You state an issue with the car taking oil. Often cars can use oil that may appear high in consumption, we do not guarantee oil consumption levels.
    Should you feel the consumption levels feel high, this alone is not a reason to reject.
    We would need to see evidence of failing parts and a reason with professional diagnosis.
    We would also need evidence of failure.
    The orange light needs professional diagnosis, EGR valves are not an item covered on warranty and warranty clearly states this.
    Again, it would need to be evidenced that the vehicle needs that and put in writing by a professional garage.
    Should a climate motor have failed this may be covered under warranty I would need this to be checked.
    Should you document the required evidence to this email address, with accurate assessment I will then add further comment."

"You will need to evidence a reason to reject the car with detailed diagnosis of the suggested issue.
    I outlined this in my response.
    We don't operate a simple rejection policy based on consumables such as oil.
    All car's differ in consumption and it's not unreasonable to request further information.
    The consumer rights acts still require evidencing.
    You have a view and concern which we didn't have so it's fair to request evidence and not that of a colleague or employer who will naturally support what you wish."

After last e-mail I was unable to get any response from them anymore.
    I was in contact with Citizen Advise all the time and due to their advices I sent letter before court claim to them - no effect as well.
    At the moment I'm awaiting date of first hearing in small claims court. So far, I have prepared records of all e-mails (from me and from them), letters and phone calls witch attachments.

My questions to you:
    - What are the chances of win in court and get my money back?
    - What should I expect in court?
    - What should I prepare and do before trial?
    - Any other suggestions from you?

Thank you in advance for any responds, it is highly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Des-8 maybe able to assist

Comment

Difficult to assess your chances in court as we have not seen either your particulars of claim, the defence or any of the witness statements (if the case has processed that far)

Small claims court can be a bit of a lottery, but it is for you to prove the vehicle was unsatisfactory to the standard set in Consumer rights Act 2015

The judge is unlikely to have in depth knowledge of motor engineering so you will be best prepared if you have done your research (could you explain the function of an EGR valve to someone with no knowledge of an engine?)
      Have you researched the reason for high oil consumption?( I know that some volvos had problems with high oil consumption)
      Has an independent mechanic (other than the one at work) confirmed it is unusual or diagnosed a possible fault
      Know your own case inside out and be prepared to answer questions

The hearing will probably be held in a small room seated round desks (but I have actually attended a small claim hearing in a court room with judge looking down from his dais) without wigs etc!

Here's a couple of links that might help you:
      https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/...+web+FINAL.pdf
      https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Just out of interest what milage are you seeing on the clock ?. Have a scroll through the previous MOT reports, without knowing the service history you will be fighting a losing battle, If you did purchase the car with fairly high mileage using engine oil is acceptable, get a mileage check as agents now have the mileage recorded, and that cannot be tampered with.

Comment

Hi guys,

Thank you for your answers and advices. The car millage is 138k. Also, please see below the line of defence presented in court by car dealer and car check that I did in authorized Volvo garage.

DEFENCE:
          We are happy that the condition sold is reflective of the age & miles covered. This vehicle is 8 years old & travelled above average millage per annum. We believe that goods was satisfactory condition as sold. The vehicle inspection offered is at Volvo main agent whom comment of oil leak & ECR cooler blocked. We do not cover oil leaks as they are signs of age. Related wear. We would be prepared to look at the car & consider a path forward, mediation would be welcomed or resolution methods. We would consider contribution to repair.

Thanks in advance for any help.
          Last edited by Bartlomiej; 1st February 2023, 13:07:PM.

Comment

I would expect a vehicle with a blocked EGR cooler and stuck swirl flaps to be adversely affected either on performance or economy or even both.

Oil leaks aren't a sign of age.
            My daily driver is a 51 year old MG and it does not leak oil
            Oil leaks are a sign of neglected maintenance

I read that Volvo reckon your engine should use 0.5L oil per 1000km/620 miles, so your consumption of 2L over 380 miles seems excessive (but do your own research

Comment

des8 Thank you for your reply. Do you have any specific advices what (and how) exactly should I say to judge to convince him that car they sold me is faulty and they should cover all repairs or accept the return due to consumer rights? I will really appreciate any help in this matter.

Thanks.

Comment

All you can do is makes sure your witness statement is accurate, and that you really know its content.
                Also study the defence and their witness statement and look for anomalies.
                (You'd be surprised at the number of witness statements that contain contradictory accounts)

What you say will depend on the questions asked, so sorry, but it is impossible to give you a script to read from

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X