• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shoplifted and don’t know what to do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoplifted and don’t know what to do

Over the past 6 months I have been shoplifting from my local Tesco’s . I haven’t had any money and I’m on disability payments and I just can’t afford heating electric and food. I haven’t put anything in my pocket , I have simply been going through the self scanners and putting some shopping through and not other bits. I have had numerous trolley rescans and I have said I will put it through in a moment as it’s a friends shop and they have said ok or I have buried items at the bottom of the tescos bag and they haven’t gone down that far.

the other day I paid for half of my shopping and left . As I left the bells went off and the security guard came over , looked and waved me on .
    Yesterday I went in with my husband and son (16) and as I walked off the security guard called my husband over and said “you was in a few days ago and it appears you haven’t paid for all the goods in the trolly” he bought the receipt up and showed my husband what I’d paid for and goods I haven’t paid for . Then he showed us on CCTV waking round. Then he referenced his paperwork and then said how much it cost. He then said on your way out I need to check your shopping with your receipt .
    We then got a few bits paid and went to the security guard and he checked the receipt . He asked if we were going to pay for the shopping from the other day and I asked to see the footage . He said no and I said stupidly call the manager . I then said actually I will come back tomorrow and left .

my husband is going crazy and saying he’s going down to pay for it . I’m scared that they will lump all of the shoplifting I have done together and it will cost a lot and I will go to prison . I’m beside myself with worry and am so sorry I have done this . I’m waiting for the police to knock on my door I’m terrified . I know what I have done is wrong and I have never done anything like this and do not have a criminal record . I am 52 .

I’m scared if we pay it admits guilt then the police will be called. My husband is saying we will be in the local paper and social media

Please can someone tell me the best thing to do .
    Tags: None

Can someone have a quick look at my post as I’m terrified

Comment

Please calm down and stop fretting.

it seems from your post that they have a certain amount of evidence to show that you left on one occasion without paying for all the goods you had picked up.
      If (and it is a very big if) this is referred to the police you would possibly be offered a community resolution.
      It is quite possible that they do not have enough evidence to prove you actually left the store with unpaid goods.
      They will need to have kept you on camera the whole time you were in store.
      If they did not, how do they know you did not return some of those goods?

If the police are involved they are unlikely to just turn up at your door.
      You might be invited to attend a "voluntary" interview at the police station
      If you speak with the police, only do so in the presence of a solicitor, either your own or the duty solicitor

You don't mention how much Tesco were asking you to pay, but if your husband can pay it, let him.

Assuming Tesco have your address (via clubcard perhaps?) you will probably receive a demand for their security costs from a firm of solicitors called DWF.
      This letter, and subsequent letters, should be completely ignored.

Comment

Thankyou so much . The thing I am worried about is if I have shoplifted a number of times will they look back and lump it all together and ask for all money back and will the police charge me for all of the shoplifting over the past 6 months or will it be for the most recent shoplifting ?

Comment

I very much doubt Tesco are aware of your past actions, and they will not be trawling through hours of CCTV records to see if they can spot you.
          It is too expensive and anyway CCTV records are generally only kept for one month.

The police probably have not been informed, and charges are unlikely.
          But if they do contact you only speak with them with your solicitor present.
          That is most important.
          Even if the police call it a chat, don't go without your solicitor1

Comment

I second Des8 do not see the Police without a solicitor. I actually sentence shoplifting in court - you will not go to prison. If it is a first offence most likely a fine depending on value of goods stolen though of course without full knowledge of the offence and your previous record that is only a guess!

Comment

How did you get on Amelia? I have a similar fear that the supermarket I took items from has looked back and seen I’ve done it previously. I felt like everyone I made eye contact with today knew what I’d done, I’m so paranoid. I think alot of us are in similar situations where we’ve been struggling to make ends meet and we know it was wrong but it’s not been because we’re bad people. I hope you’re feeling better about everything x

Comment

Katie8719 probably nothing has happened as OP has not been back here

Stop worrying about your own case either, as probably nothing will happen there

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X