• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Short Term Right to Reject - Deduction for Usage allowed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Term Right to Reject - Deduction for Usage allowed?

Hi,

I am in the process of rejecting a car bought from Cargiant under the short-term right to reject. The car has done 1000 miles since we bought it, and Cargiant are attempting to deduct a fee for usage at 25p per mile (£250). I'm contending that they can only charge for usage under final right to reject, and said to them:

"Consumer Rights Act 2015 only allows deduction for use to occur during the final right to reject (section 24, subsection (8)). Rejection during the short-term right to reject requires a full refund, as per section 20, subsection (10)."

Their response was to point me to their policy:

"Consumer rights return In the event that you have a valid reason to return the vehicle under your consumer rights, we reserve the right to deduct a reason-able sum of money for the usage of the vehicle and any failure to keep it in good repair and condition. Our policy is to charge 25 pence per mile for each mile covered since the date of sale, along with the cost of any estimate for re-pairs required due to any damage to the vehicle (e.g. interior and exterior) that was caused whilst in your possession/ownership."

Please could you help me understand whether they can indeed 'reserve the right', or whether CRA prevents this from applying unless it's a final right to reject?

Many thanks
    Tags: None

It is illegal to attempt to remove a consumers statrutory rights.

For Short term right you are correct in that they may not make a deduction for usage.
    The Motor Ombudsman agrees (https://www.themotorombudsman.org/kn...s%20Act%201979.)
    In any event I would challenge their usage charge under the final right to reject as it should be around 15p per mile

Tell them that if they don't give you a full refund you will be reporting them to trading standards and taking action to recover any shortfall.

Comment

des8 Thank you very much, really appreciate it

Comment

I just wanted to update this thread to say that Cargiant would not budge from their position, so on their direction, I lodged a case with the National Conciliation Service (NCS) (Alternative Dispute Resolution). They intervened and Cargiant's response via NCS was to offer a full refund, which I've now received. Many thanks again for your help here.

Comment

Thanks for the update and well done

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X