• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Verbal Contract - Cancellation Clause

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verbal Contract - Cancellation Clause

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a legal way to terminate a verbal contract, and if that contract hasn't yet been cancelled, is the clock still effectively ticking concerning the contractors obligations under my consumer rights (referring to time here) to complete the job?

Also, if you enter into a verbal contract with a Ltd company, are they then legally obliged to provide you with a written cancellation clause aligned to CCRs, and do any other aspects of CCRs apply despite there being no written contract?

Thank you

Tags: None

An unwritten contract contains no written terms.

Consumer rights/protection legislation may nevertheless apply.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      An unwritten contract contains no written terms.

Consumer rights/protection legislation may nevertheless apply.
      hi, many thanks, although your reply stating 'may' apply seems uncertain?

Also how would any legislation be applied, given nothing in writing, how would anyone be able to
      say for example whether or not the 14 day rule would apply?

My understanding is that the 14 day rule is rolling until the agreed content of a contract is in place, but once again
      given there is nothing to reference how can anything be applied, one way or another?

I guess my question is, where does the onus lie with a verbal contract, does this lie with the contractor and are the rules the same as they would be for a written contract i.e. a written contract must contain specific elements to make it legally binding, so what about a verbal contract and again how would you be able to say what was or wasn't agreed one way or the other. My hope is that there are legal responsibilities on the contractor but I am not sure.

Comment

Much will depend on the circumstances. Are you willing to say something about them?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

If the contract was made orally, then there is an implied right to terminate, usually on giving reasonable notice. Reasonable notice depends on the circumstances of the contract and also how long the contract has been going on for. For example, where the contract hasn't been going for very long then short notice like 7 or 14 days may be considered reasonable. However, if you have been contracting for 3 years then something longer might be more appropriate like a month's notice.

Always worth getting an acknowledgement from the other side when you give notice of termination, that way it's more difficult for them to dispute the termination at a later date - not a guarantee from a legal perspective but it gives you a little bit of a defence if it was ever contested at a later date.

Consumer rights apply different and yes there are certain obligations on providing you with information and the right to cancel etc. but there are some exceptions depending on the nature of the contract.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Much will depend on the circumstances. Are you willing to say something about them?
            The work was to build an upstairs loft extension, making a 5th bedroom, however the builder has not built things properly according to
            the councils buildings control officer, and the builder has now disappeared, so i need to get the work completed by a new builder and want to make sure
            he can legally take over

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
              If the contract was made orally, then there is an implied right to terminate, usually on giving reasonable notice. Reasonable notice depends on the circumstances of the contract and also how long the contract has been going on for. For example, where the contract hasn't been going for very long then short notice like 7 or 14 days may be considered reasonable. However, if you have been contracting for 3 years then something longer might be more appropriate like a month's notice.

Always worth getting an acknowledgement from the other side when you give notice of termination, that way it's more difficult for them to dispute the termination at a later date - not a guarantee from a legal perspective but it gives you a little bit of a defence if it was ever contested at a later date.

Consumer rights apply different and yes there are certain obligations on providing you with information and the right to cancel etc. but there are some exceptions depending on the nature of the contract.
              Thanks, given the work was left incomplete and has been ongoing for 16 months on a job that estimates to take 25 weeks, this seems to also breach my consumer rights. My concern is that i have some new lined up to take over but want to ensure legally that the other builder is out of the way.

Comment

When did you last have any contact with the builder who has disappeared?

If this builder has done some work then it is not a question of cancelling the contract but of terminating it. It may be that the builder has terminated it by walking away, so that you can accept his termination.

Comment

When did you last have any contact with the builder who has disappeared?

If this builder has done some work then it is not a question of cancelling the contract but of terminating it. It may be that the builder has terminated it by walking away, so that you can accept his termination.
                  Again 'it may be' is very vague, I really need some clarity. Its OK if you don't know please just say

Comment

You appear not to understand that I have been describing possible consequences of things that you have yet to tell us. If you are able to be clear, I may (!) be able to be more specific.
                    Last edited by atticus; 30th October 2022, 17:34:PM.

Comment

Blue Spring, when you set out a situation, anyone answering can only answer on the basis of the information given to date. You have twice given some information and complained twice about the answer being a 'may be'. That is how it is.

We do not live in a world where certainty is readily available.

Comment

Originally posted by dslippy View Post
                        Blue Spring, when you set out a situation, anyone answering can only answer on the basis of the information given to date. You have twice given some information and complained twice about the answer being a 'may be'. That is how it is.

We do not live in a world where certainty is readily available.
                        I am sure ATTICUS doesn't need you coming to there rescue, but thanks for you input

Comment

You appear not to understand that I have been describing possible consequences of things that you have yet to tell us. If you are able to be clear, I may (!) be able to be more specific.
                          I honestly don't think you understand being honest. My question is quite specific, and there isn't anything else I believe I could add to make my question any clearer.

If you can suggest specifics which would make a difference happy to supply the details.

Comment

Post no 8 contains an indication of further information that you can usefully provide.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X