• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car rejected dealer refuses refund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car rejected dealer refuses refund

Hi there once again I am asking for the help of you good people.

my daughter has had a terrible experience buying a second hand car from a horrible dealer.

He has fleeced her for four thousand pounds which is all her savings. She needs a car for work and she has two small children she takes to nursery. The dealer knows all this as she took the children with her when she bought the car.

He gave her a three month mechanical breakdown warranty and when she took it back after 2 weeks he claimed that it was the clutch and it was wear and tear that she had done in the two weeks she had it. He refused to repair it and refused a refund and told her it was wear and tear and she had done it.

Anyway we have tried to deal with this ourselves but we are not solicitors and really dont know exactly what to do next.

This is the letter we finally sent to him last week. It explains everything that has happened in the letter to him. We said we had legal advice but we havent we just said that to see if it would shake him up. But it hasnt. He hasnt replied to this letter and basically we want your advice on what to do next.

This is the the letter

Dear mr _______

I'm writing to you about the Bmw 116 (2012) I bought from you for £3995.00

Unfortunately following your confrontational manner and reluctance to admit the car you sold me was not roadworthy, or fit for purpose at the point of sale, you have left me with no alternative other than to pursue legal advice.

I have a time line of events and notes of all discussions I have had with you and copies of all letters and emails. So I have these to refer to should I need to validate my claim against you at any time. Should this become necessary.

As you are aware I brought this vehicle back to you for repair a few weeks after I purchased it when a fault developed and drivetrain light coming on and car shaking.

You took the car in reluctantly to your mechanic who diagnosed clutch problems and needing a new link arm for the wheel plus labour you told me it would cost me around £500 to repair as it was wear and tear and the 3 month warranty you gave me only covered mechanical problems not electrical.

This was obviously mechanical but you still insisted that it was wear and tear that I had done in the few weeks I had the vehicle taking my children to nursery and back which is less than 4 miles a day at a top speed of 32mph.

You refused to repair the vehicle free of charge and did not offer me a replacement or refund.

This information you gave me at that time regarding my rights and the validity of the warranty you issued to me was misleading and incorrect. I tried to point that out to you but you dismissed it.

I had to leave your garage with my children in a car you knew was not in satisfactory condition or fit for purpose.

A few weeks later the drive train light came on and black smoke started blowing from the exhaust and would not drive over 20mph. I then made more checks on the cars history as by this time I am very concerned and to my horror I find that the car has been used as a learner car and had duel controls fitted and removed.

This would now explain the fact that the car would have suffered far more than average wear and tear on the engine, gearbox, clutch, and brakes than that of an average car of this age, make and model. Therefore the car was misold, as you did not make me aware that this car had had excessive use. If i had been aware i would not have purchased the vehicle.

I then contacted you again to make you aware that the car was undriveable.

You told me you would collect the car, but instead visited me without a transporter when I had made it blatantly clear to you that the car was undriveable.

You were intimidating, and confrontational and have left me feeling upset and distressed.

Since then you have been to collect the car on a transporter without informing me when you had taken it, where you have taken it, and what you intend to do with it.

So based on the facts.
    Which are the following:

At the point of sale the information you gave to me was misleading and in correct.

The vehicle has had dual controls fitted and removed, and has a cracked, repaired, and re cracked alloy and in need of a new link arm to wheel. It obviously has engine problems including drive train light coming on car shaking and black smoke bellowing from exhaust making the car undriveable.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes it an implied term of the contract I have with __________ that goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality.

I gave you ample time and opportunity to rectify the situation, but instead you have continued to deny all responsibility.

You have also had your one chance to repair the vehicle when I brought it back to you the first time. But instead of repairing it you wanted me to incur more cost.

I feel i must decline any offer of repair to the vehicle. After the way I have been treated and the fact you have had every opportunity to put things right I feel now I have no faith in you or your mechanic so I do not wish the car to be repaired, and do not want it back as I would not feel safe that the repairs have been carried out satisfactorily, and would not want to put the safety of my children at risk.

As you are in breach of contract and I've owned the vehicle for less than 6 years (or 5 years in Scotland), I am within my statutory rights to ask for a refund at no further cost to me.

As you already have the vehicle in your posession I look forward to receiving a full refund by bank transfer to my account. Within the next 7 days.

This will then finally conclude the matter.

Please accept this as my final letter to you as I hope we can resolve this matter swiftly and bring it to conclusion without any further delay.

Yours sincerely,

he hasn't replied and it has been 8 days now. Could you please advise on what we should do next. Thankyou
    Tags: None

I thought it may help if I put a timeline of events on so you could see how it all panned out. I am so sorry I am so long winded but I have a mental illness which affects my memory, so I literally repeat myself with the hope I don't miss anything out.

Which to the reader must seem arduous so I apologise for that. Many years ago my mind was a sharp as a knife and used to help others but not anymore which is why I am reaching out to you for help.

Please see timeline on next post. Thankyou in advance your help is much appreciated.

Comment

Car found on cargurus advertised 2 previous owners

18/05/2022 Viewed and deposit paid £250.00
      Waited for seat belt and fan belt to be sorted

23/05/2022 Collected the car and made transfer of remaining balance £3745.00

02/06/2022 car had puncture took it to ____ autos to have a puncture repair. Wasn’t able to do this due to where the puncture was and advised I needed a new tyre. Took the car to another garage where they sourced a tyre and told me that there was another tyre on the car that was the complete wrong size for the make and model of the vehicle. Tyre also replaced.

16/06/2022 on way to the airport drivetrain alert came on on the onboard computer, car was shaking at 60mph, knocking noise became louder than previously noticed

This was the first time the car had been on the motorway apart from the journey the day the car was picked up but the car on the journey to me never went over 40/50mph due to roadworks and heavy traffic on motorway.

Whilst away for the weekend father contacted garage owner to organise for them to rectify the issues

27/06/2022 returned car as arranged with garage owner - owner not in, was told to leave keys in post box. Returned due to shaking of the car on the motorway, knocking of the wheel and drivetrain coming on on the motorway at 60mph

29/06/2022 garage owner called and said the mechanic found there was ‘a slight problem with the clutch, not the entire clutch but he was glad it wasn’t a whole new clutch as your into more money’ was what was said around £300 also he said that the car needed a new link arm for the wheel around £15 then there was labour ontop of that would take it over £500 pounds

30/07/2022 collected the car as garage owner would not rectify faults and said it’s general wear and tear although when purchasing the vehicle he had given me a 3 month mechanical warranty. Stated at the time of deposit that it covered only problems with mechanics not electrics.

18/08/2022 tyre pressure light came on on the dash board took it to another garage to repair the puncture. Once they took the tyre off no puncture was present but I was made aware it had a cracked alloy I was told it had previously been cracked and welded and had re cracked on the repaired crack. Car booked in for 30/08/2022 for the cracked alloy to see if there welder could repair it
      In the meantime

26/08/2022 Engine light came on, car struggled to gain power and speed even with foot to the floor, black smoke began to come out the exhaust
      Unable to drive car, not safe to have my children in.

28/08/22 RAC ran diagnostics on vehicle

01/09/22 parents bought me another car to get my children around in

19/09/2022 first letter sent to garage owner once advise had been seeked from citizens advice in regards to the consumer goods act

22/09/2022 dated letter received from garage telling me to bring it back to him

25/09/2022 I replied via email stating I could not bring it as I had said in my previous email it was undriveable

27/09/2022 dated letter arranging collection for 5/10/2022 approx midday

03/10/2022 I replied via email

05/10/2022 had a confrontational and upsetting meeting with mr _____ at car location car not recovered mr ----- stated driver of transporter had covid, mr ------ plugged in diagnostics machine to clear the faults and error codes and wanted to attempt to drive the vehicle back to ---------- but later said he would get it recovered because it was undriveable as I had told him. Said he would let me know a date and time he would be returning to collect the car.

06/10/2022 car recovered without any contact as
      Promised

07/10/2022 I went to the unit expecting car to be there but it had gone without any contact from mr -------had to ask site over to look on the cctv to show when it was taken

Sent letter giving him 7 days to refund my money

8 days have past and no response from dealer.

I hope that makes things clearer thankyou again

Comment

Also found that this man had been to court and convicted of stalking and given sentence 2 years ago. Now we are more frightened of what this man may be capable of. Just wish we had never met him and just want our money back and be done with the entire thing. Now my daughter knows this she is terrified of any more face to face dealings with him.

Comment

pt2537
          Whats your thoughts on this? Unbelievable behaviour. Is a court claim the only route forward?

Have you contcated Trading Standards Maria? X
          "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

When you state he is a 'dealer', does he have premises that have a business operating upon?
            "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X