• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My Rights on Faulty Goods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Rights on Faulty Goods

Hoping I can get some advice...

We bought an escooter from a well known motoring store and 4 months after light use the rear mudguard broke off. I took it back to store who tried to charge me to repair it saying it was a maintainable part of the scooter despite it being the the part where the handle bars hook onto to carry it and I refused quoting the consumer goods act and they repaired for free. Now just over 3 months after the repair the exact same problem has occurred with the mudguard breaking off again... problem is, the rear light and brake light is attached to the mudguard so now they arent operable.

My question is, does this give me grounds for a refund or to change to a different brand?

Thanks in advance
    Robert
    Tags: None

As e-scooters can only be legally used on private land and not on public roads, does it matter if the rear lights and brake lights aren't working?

I appreciate (1) that you might be using it legally on private land and (2) that it still ought to be of satisfactory quality etc as it is perfectly legal to own one, but I was wondering if you were aware of the legal constraints on its use? You wouldn't, for example, be insured for third party injury etc if using it in public, whether on the road or the pavement...

I am aware that some people have been confused by two things; first, there are some parts of the country where officially approved e-scooter schemes are being trialled. It is legal to use only those "trial scheme" e-scooters on the road, not privately owned ones.

Second, there was some announcement in the last Queen's speech that was very badly reported and which some people took to mean that e-scooters had been legalised. They haven't.

Assuming you were already aware of all the above, I'd go back to Halfords (sorry - I mean the trader) and argue that as they've had one failed attempt to fix the problem and failed, you would like a refund. That might work or it might not - it's not a strictly accurate snapshot of the legal position but if you don't ask...

(Did they tell you they weren't road legal when you bought it?)
    Last edited by Manxman; 14th October 2022, 18:36:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X