• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tesco ‘Ban’. Is this ‘Ban’ legitimate ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesco ‘Ban’. Is this ‘Ban’ legitimate ?

Hi.
    A few months ago I was in my local Tesco store and I reached in and grabbed a single sweet from one of the ‘pick & mix’ sweet containers and put it in my mouth. Within seconds a Security Guard shouted at me and then told me I was banned from the store for a year. He asked for my name but nothing more than that then told me to leave the store and that if I returned the Police would be called and I’d be arrested.
    I know what I did was wrong and I don’t want to make excuses for my actions but, just to explain myself, I suffer from extreme anxiety and had no intention to ‘steal’ the sweet. I was feeling very anxious and find environments such as Supermarkets rather uncomfortable due to the large number of people around me. It’s difficult to explain but I reached for the sweet almost without even thinking what I was doing and in an attempt just to kind of blend in as I was feeling a mixture of paranoia and anxiety.

I want to know if this ban is legitimate and legally justifiable. Any advice or clarification of my rights in this situation would be very much appreciated.
    Much thanks,

Dave (S.Wales)
    Tags: None

As Tesco stores are private property one can be banned from entry for no reason at all.
    It is completely legal.

If you were to re enter that store the chances are nothing will happen and you won't be recognised.
    If you are spotted, they may ask you to leave as you will be trespassing.
    If you refuse they could eject you.

If whilst there you should steal, you could be charged with burglary, rather than simple theft

Comment

Des8 has it correct

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X