• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wedding photographer woes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding photographer woes

I'm marrying my partner in 3 weeks, we booked our wedding photographer in August 2020, he had photographed my brothers wedding a couple of years previously so we had met him and seen his work. We paid him upfront the full amount shortly after booking. He is not a full time photographer, he has a day job and seemly does photography gigs at the weekends.

Fast forward to earlier this year, we had sent him some messages via Facebook Messenger, he'd read them but did not respond. Eventually he did respond after about 5 weeks but did not address the content of the messages. In May we sent another message asking about going over details of the day, again he read it but did not respond, then a few weeks later we noticed a bad review on his FB page essentially saying the same issues that we were having and that he started to get nasty in messages when pushed for details etc. They said he showed up on the day but was rude and unprofessional and turned out poor quality pictures. We sent him another message asking him about the review, he again didn't respond.

By this time his wedding website had gone offline, his business social media pages also hadn't been up dated since early 2021

We took the decision to find another photographer with the wedding being less than 3 months away and the worry that this guy wasn't going to show up (he lives nearly 3 hours away)

Eventually he responded to our messages after nearly 5 weeks again stating he'd had a turbulent few weeks.

We sent him a letter stating our desire to cancel, stating the reasons, he didn't respond to it.
    We sent another one 5 weeks later giving him 14 days to respond, which he did on the 13th day essentially quoting his contract and that we would get nothing back.

Contract states if we cancel less than 3 months till the date we would be liable for 100% of the monies, as we'd paid in full then we'd get nothing back. We had offered costs/expenses of £200 and the remainder returned to us in the 2 letters we sent.

Now we put our hands up, we decided to exit the contract even though we were forced to do so by his behaviour but what are our chances of getting anything back?

One thing to note, part of the package we purchased was an initial consultation. We had a Facetime call with him discussing us and our day but we had this before we signed any contract with him. Once we signed the contract we had no kind of consultation and one of the messages we sent that was not answered was regarding talking about photo poses etc. Could we use this to show he has broken the contract by not supplying this?

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who call themselves 'wedding photographers' . Some are good, but many hardly know which way to point a camera. You get what you pay for, but may need to take firmer action to enforce the agreement.

Comment

What is this guy's ability to repay? What you say suggests that he is giving up this business, so I wonder about his financial position.

The 100% if terminated later than 3 months sounds excessive/unfair.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

We know he has a job, he is working as a bus driver according to his personal FB page. It’s not a massive amount of money (£500) but more the principal as it’s was essentially his poor business etiquette that forced us into cancelling.

Comment

poor business etiquette is not of itself a breach of contract. Think carefully if it is just a matter of principle.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Yeah I get that, I know it was our choice.

has he breached the contract by not offering us the initial consultation within the contract period? I know it’s probably a technicality

Comment

You may have had that "initial" consultation, even if it was prior to signature of the agreement.

Comment

I'm really sorry that you had to face similar problems before the brightest holiday in your life.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X