• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Insurance Query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance Query

Hi guys
    I am not sure if this is in the right section or not. But essentially, I bought a TV for £1,699.00, 3 years ago.
    I am having building work done and the builders broke the TV and we are going through his insurance to sort it.

The model that I bought isn't sold anymore, but the insurers have found a website that are selling a refurbished one for £600, so they are saying they will pay out £600 as that is the cost they have found, and that this amount will put me back in the position I was in before the TV was damaged

I dont think this is fair. My TV was in immaculate condition so i dont see how the cost of a refurbished version of my TV would be a fair settlement.

Does anyone have any advice on this?
    Thanks
    Tags: None

I believe that you need to consider just what a 3 year old TV is worth, even though it may look good. Have you managed to find out the age of the refurbished model? If it is within 3 years then I can see why the Insurance company considers it a fair settlement.

After all, a car of 3 years old will never get the same price as it was new. You do need to be reasonable. However, you could insist that there is a 2 year guarantee, which the insurance company can back up? Just a thought.

Comment

You could make a counter offer to them e.g. give you the £600 cash as a settlement of the matter. Then purchase another one, technology has improved in 3 years, so has the cost, so essentially you will get a better TV for £800 (you'll have to pay £200, unless you can persuade the insurance to payout the £200), then the 'refurbished' model (old technology, poor warranty, usually 6 months).

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X