• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Insurance Write off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance Write off

Hi All, l brought a motorbike back in November last year up in Leicester from a Dealership. They offered me 3 months warranty but because I live in London l decided not to take it. I have some minor stuff go wrong but nothing big. ,Then the carburetors failed and l had a slight oil leak. I took it to my mechanic and they said it's totally gone and would cost over ,£800 to fix. I went out and got a another bike. I have put the first bike for sell on Facebook Market and l have been told by a buyer that the bike is a Cat C insurance Write off on the 17\11\2014. What are my rights. Can l get my money back.
    Many Thanks A1Foxxy123
    ​​​​​​
    Tags: None

It may depend on what you actually bought, how it was described to you and the price in relation to similar machines that were perhaps not write offs.

You need to know that for a vehicle to be a write off does not mean that it is beyond repair. It means that the insurance company were not prepared to cover the cost of repair to the insured, Often vehicles that have been written off are repaired and sold, but I understand, and may be wrong, but the write off needs to have been declared.

Perhaps someone else may care to comment of declaring a write off to a buyer?

Comment

If you bought it from a professional motorbike trader they should have informed you it was a Cat C write off. Was it not advertised as such?

A Cat C write off simply means that the insurer decided that it was economically unviable to repair the 'bike. It would probably have been sold off at auction to a 'bike trader or repair garage who would repair it at cheaper trade prices than the insurer would be charged.

So long as it has been competently repaired, there is nothing necesssarily wrong or dangerous about a repaired Cat C 'bike. But naturally some buyers may prefer to avoid them. (But if you do prefer to avoid them, the time to check is before you buy... )

Depending on how old it is and what condition it is in, secondhand 'bikes get oil leaks and develop carburettor problems all the time.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X