• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I bought credit but it expired before selecting the gift card.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought credit but it expired before selecting the gift card.

The credit for gift cards I purchased through the Monese app expired, there was no reminder. I bought £150 worth but because I already had some previously left over and they expire after 1 year of being selected, I left it a little before selecting my vendor (so it would last longer than 1 yr) to use as a gift card (eg a supermarket) as they give up to 3 months to select. Unfortunately, I noted the date it said I had until expiry, but it had already expired (probably earlier the same day).

So my question is: Do they have a right to keep my money even though I never actually accessed the credit to select a gift card? Is it different to buying a gift card and having it expire before use, as in that case I would have at least accessed the product? Do I have any legal right to ask for a refund or to re-issue? (England)
    Tags: None

Hi Nothingness

Terms and Conditions come into play, so you need to go through the Terms and Conditions to see what they say.

Even if the Terms and Conditions state that the Gift Card expires after 1 year for example, the Terms and Conditions might be 'unfair'.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      Hi Nothingness

Terms and Conditions come into play, so you need to go through the Terms and Conditions to see what they say.

Even if the Terms and Conditions state that the Gift Card expires after 1 year for example, the Terms and Conditions might be 'unfair'.
      Hi thank you so much for the reply I wasn't sure if I anyone would, I'll try to find T&C but it wasn't easy to find, they ignored me when I asked where I could find it. The email I received the day I bought it doesn't have anything and there's nothing on their website at all that I can find. I'm assuming that it would have been in the app when I purchased like the recent example here, but I would have to wait for them to run it again and don't know exactly how much they would have changed by now:

Comment

What happens when you click the T's and C's, last line of your copy / paste?

I'm assuming the T's and C's will be the same for both promotions.

Comment

What happens when you click the T's and C's, last line of your copy / paste?

I'm assuming the T's and C's will be the same for both promotions.
          I can't as it was just an image I found, I'll have to wait for them to run the promotion again, they do so every few weeks or so, sometimes a bit longer. In the meantime, I've made a formal complaint to the company asking them if they could make an exception due to circumstances. I mentioned: ' It seems like you count on vulnerable people forgetting/not being able to access it so you can profit by taking their money and not giving them the actual product (the gift card which I never received as I wasn't able to select it'.

I just wondered if it was any different legally as I hadn't actually selected which gift card to use (I foolishly thought the 'gift card' purchase wasn't complete until I selected it which I never actually did) so I never received a gift card at all for my money, which is what I paid for? Also I don't remember even seeing the T&C anywhere when I purchased, but when I said I can't find the terms and conditions (when I was told to check them) for the credit for gift cards I purchased, I was never given a link to see these T&C, could you please give me access to them (at the time I purchased them, as they may have changed by now) as I never saw them when purchasing and couldn't find them anywhere on your website at all, so they weren't accessible, and it's entirely possible that they may have changed slightly since then.

When I looked up consumer rights, I found:
          'Always check the terms written on the voucher (or the packaging around it). As the purchaser, as you will be bound by terms made known before, or at the time of purchase. If the terms were not prominently brought to your attention when you purchased the gift voucher - for example, they were hidden on the reverse side of the card or voucher and this couldn’t have been seen because the card was stuck down or enclosed in packaging - then you may be able to argue that the terms are contrary to the requirements of good faith, if you later have a problem. To meet the requirements of good faith, the terms must be designed, negotiated and entered into with you in a fair and open way.'

So how about the fact that I didn't see T&C and that I thought they would apply once I actually selected and accessed the gift card?

Comment

You should have made available to you T & C's before you make a purchase.

You've written to them, so wait to see what they say. In the meantime, make a complaint to CAB, they will take details and give you a reference number.

'I've made a formal complaint to the company asking them if they could make an exception due to circumstances. I mentioned: ' It seems like you count on vulnerable people forgetting/not being able to access it so you can profit by taking their money and not giving them the actual product (the gift card which I never received as I wasn't able to select it'.'

Comment

You should have made available to you T & C's before you make a purchase.

You've written to them, so wait to see what they say. In the meantime, make a complaint to CAB, they will take details and give you a reference number.

'I've made a formal complaint to the company asking them if they could make an exception due to circumstances. I mentioned: ' It seems like you count on vulnerable people forgetting/not being able to access it so you can profit by taking their money and not giving them the actual product (the gift card which I never received as I wasn't able to select it'.'
              Oh by complaint to citizens advice bureau do you mean to contact them for advice?

Comment

Originally posted by Nothingness View Post

Oh by complaint to citizens advice bureau do you mean to contact them for advice?
                Advice / lodge a complaint, they might have form.Don't forget to take down the Ref. number.

Comment

Advice / lodge a complaint, they might have form.Don't forget to take down the Ref. number.
                  I've been on their website and can't see a way to make a complaint against Monese/ask advice, they have online chat or a phoneline? I can't find a form, as I could then paste a summary and get a Ref. number? Shall I just go through chat?

Also they acknowledged my complaint and I added: 1) I believed the 'gift card' purchase wasn't complete until I selected (and received) it which I never actually did, so I never received a gift card at all for my money, which is what I paid for. Hence I assumed it would be a simple matter of re-issue.

2) I don't remember even seeing the T&C anywhere when I purchased as they weren't prominent to me and seemed contrary to the requirements of good faith and unfair. When I said I can't find the terms and conditions (when I was told to check them by email support) for the credit for gift cards I purchased, I was never given a link to see these T&C (as they were at the time) and still haven't been given access to them after all this time. So I'm asking that you pls rectify the matter in a show of goodwill and make an exception to refund the amount I paid (if re-issue is truly impossible).

Comment

You can try chat, see what they say.

Comment

You can try chat, see what they say.
                      Thank you for your help, they just emailed me saying they're refunding the whole amount as the 3-month expiry wasn't written in their original terms and conditions. I was very lucky this time, lesson learnt!

Comment

Thank you for your help, they just emailed me saying they're refunding the whole amount as the 3-month expiry wasn't written in their original terms and conditions. I was very lucky this time, lesson learnt!
                        Well Done, good result.

Comment

I'm having same issue like you had.

Please can I get their email.

Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Van0888 View Post

I'm having same issue like you had.

Please can I get their email.

Many thanks
                            You should start your own thread, nevertheless, try https://monese.com/gb/en/contact

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X